Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Exhaust

Richie.curtis

Exhaust

Post by Richie.curtis on Sat 05 Nov 2011, 9:27 am

Has anybody got an silencer for a 95 cb500 i have just bought the bike with a motad exhaust but it has a hole in, an original would do but cheap as possible as i have just found myself out of work. I can collect anywhere in the north east maybe north yorks and scottish border
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Exhaust

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:50 am

I haven't got a exhaust for sale, but I have just successfully repaired some smallish rust-holes in my exhaust using this stuff:

http://www.milliput.com/

It is an epoxy-putty (the kind that is a bit like plastiscene) and I used it like this:

1. Cleaned area around hole/rust using a wire brush and some sand paper

2. Mixed up milliput as directed on the packet (I opted to use the standard grey milliput).

3. Stuck a load of it over the hole and smoothed it at the edges, making sure that plenty of it get pushed into the rust-holes.

4. Left it for 24 hours to fully cure.

5. Painted it black using VHT exhaust paint from halfords.

I don't think this would have worked with a *really* big hole - my holes were more like gaps in-between bits of rust/metal, so the metal that was left could support the epoxy putty I was pushing over/between it.

If you had a big hole you could cut up a baked bean can, coat the inside with exhaust putty (holts firegum or similar) and use jubilee clips to hold the whole lot in place over the hole.

I had to take my exhaust off to apply the repair, as the holes were on the inside, near the swingarm and I couldn't really see how bad it was with the can still on the bike.

As you can see there are plenty of bodges that actually work, if you use a bit of lateral thinking.

Good Luck!
Tommo
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Tommo on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

One on ebay at the moment, starting price £19.99

Tommo

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 3:21 pm