You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Led indicators

Steven

Led indicators

Post by Steven on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

Hello,
My name is Steven, cb500 owner and despite what the flag says I'm from Belgium and not from Germany. Couldn't find my flag while registering...
I'm having trouble with my led indicators:
I hooked up a set in the front that I allready had, of course the flashing speed went up, so I decided to go get a 3pin relay from puig. With the relay installed (with only 2 of 3wires) the flashingspeed was normal again (but no clicking sound). BUT when I hooked up the other set of indicators in the rear ALL of the indicators flash at once, and very weak...

So they work with led in front and bulbs in rear, the selected sides flash. But they flash all at once when i replace the bulbs in the rear with leds doesn't matter what side i pick.

anybody any ideas?

I don't understand how this is possible
James_chivers
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: Led indicators

Post by James_chivers on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm

Hello there. I am not srue what you mean by 'they all flash at once'? Do you mean all four? It does seem strange. Instead of the relay you can get inline resistors for LED indicators but this sounds like it may not work. Could be a problem with your relay or a short. I used the following relay, from fleebay, and haven't had any problems:
: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313&_nkw=honda+flasher+relay+for+led+or+bulb&_sacat=See-All-Categories)
Due to the design of these relays you will loose the clicking sound and I am sure the flash rate won't increase when an indicator fails.

Hope this is of some use
tombola

Post by tombola on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

Ive heard its too do with the very low current led indicators draw, this is what someone else said not me but if you fit a diode (A one way valve for electricity) it should sort your problem. I can't explain why it works as a DC current should only go one way!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 2:41 pm

It's not a diode you need to slow the flash rate but a resistor (one for each led indicator) that draws the same amps as a bulb. A new flasher relay like James_chivers linked to above is the tidier option. Wink
tombola

Post by tombola on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 6:29 pm

http://www.triumphtorque.com/messageboard/thread/117134-LED-Indicator-wows.aspx

Diodes are used to seperate the negatives.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:15 pm

I've just re-read the op & for some reason I was thinking it was the fast flash fault that had already been remedied.

Now I have, I think the problem most likely stems from the fact only 2 of the 3 connections from the new relay are being used. Though the wiring diagram for the shared idiot light (assuming it's an unfaired bike) could be causing it & the diode mod in the link from triumphtorque.com would work.
tombola

Post by tombola on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 12:07 pm

I think its all to do with the indicators sharing the same negative?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:42 am

A shared negative wouldn't cause this since the switch is on the positive side & you'd still have an open circuit on the other indicators.

The diode mod you linked to earlier deals with the fact the 2 connections on the shared idiot light are the left indicator live & the right indicator live. The only way for it to complete the circuit is by running through the opposite side & while I'm assuming there's not enough current left to activate the bulbs, I can't work out why.

The indicator relay ordinarily has a live feed in from the fuse, a live out to the switch and a negative linking with the lighting circuit & going to earth. Steven stated he only used 2 of the 3 wires so something's obviously not right there & could conceivably cause this fault depending on how it's been wired in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 2:15 pm