You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Electronic flasher relay

wikkadoo500
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Electronic flasher relay

Post by wikkadoo500 on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

Does anyone know if an electronic or solid state flasher relay is available for the Cb500? I'm looking to upgrade my indicators to LED bulbs because they flash too quickly when the headlamp bulb is on. My current indicators flash erratically even though all of the bulbs are working; they assume a normal flash rate when the headlamp is switched off. The battery and charging system all seem okay, so I can only guess a more updated flasher relay will solve the problem, or replacing the bulbs and relay with an LED circuit. Any ideas?
James_chivers
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: Electronic flasher relay

Post by James_chivers on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 7:57 pm

I got one from ebay (this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313&_nkw=honda+flasher+relay+for+led+or+bulb&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

Alternatively you can search eboy or google for 'Honda flasher relay for bulb or led'. This is a relay that replaces your existing but due to the way it works you will nio longer get the clikcing sound of the indicator and it probably won't flash fast when a repeater fails. I have had no problems with mine and the flash rate is spot on even with a mix of LED repeaters and bulb.
James_chivers
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by James_chivers on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 7:59 pm

Reference my reply above; this should solve your problem and you won't need to add any resistors or anything and you could use bulb or led repeaters or a mix. Having said that it sounds like you have some sort of short circuit or wiring issue if your headlamp is affecting your indicators.

wikkadoo500
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by wikkadoo500 on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

I had a spot of bother once when my headlight went out when I indicated left; it only lasted a short while and has never returned. I can only think that this is caused by a poor earth somewhere. I suppose it's par for the course when you run a ageing bike!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

The connectors/wiring inside the headlight bowl can degrade over time causing faults like this.

Wink

wikkadoo500
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by wikkadoo500 on Sun 04 Sep 2011, 7:03 pm

I have ordered, received and fitted the flasher relay your link lead me to; it has cured the problem. Thank you very much for the advice, and I hope I can return the favour someday.
James_chivers
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by James_chivers on Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:46 am

Not a problem at all, that's what these sites are all about. Glad it worked for you.
Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 7:32 am