Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Really poor fuel economy

hawksquawks
hawksquawks
Squiddy
Squiddy

Really poor fuel economy  Empty Really poor fuel economy

Post by hawksquawks on Tue 08 Oct 2019, 11:19 pm

Hello I have owned my CB500 for just over 2 years now, when I first got the bike, I was getting around 200 miles to the tank. The bike had some none standard exhaust on it Suzuki exhaust it seems. I replaced the exhaust with another aftermarket exhaust and saw a drop in fuel economy by 50 miles to the tank, I have since returned it to a stock exhaust and I have saw a drop to just 120 miles to a full tank ! I have lost 80 miles range, I would like to see if anyone can help me, many thanks
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Really poor fuel economy  Empty Re: Really poor fuel economy

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 8:47 am

That's terrible economy! Are you sure you have no fuel leaks? Silly question but it's worth asking.
How do the spark plugs look?

These bikes are good for 240 miles to a tank if you brim them so there is something very wrong there.
trevor machine
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 5:10 pm

How do you ride the bike? It might not be a consideration - but I'm asking regardless. Are you regularly revving it up to 10,000rpm? Or are you much gentler and keeping it down to around half that?

The reason I ask is because when I first got the bike I was a newly qualified rider and so used to be very conservative in the amount of power I used. However as I became more confident, competent and familiar with the bike, I used more and more of the engine - and I began to notice that fuel consumption increased markedly. I'm not saying it was as drastic as you're experience - but it was very obvious and quite considerable.
hawksquawks
hawksquawks
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by hawksquawks on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 7:17 pm

Generally I stick to the speed limit, and shift at around 6k RPM normally staying around 4k RPM at constant speed. I rarely go mad with my bike. I don't smell any fuel around my bike, But i will check for leaks
motofan
motofan
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by motofan on Thu 10 Oct 2019, 12:01 pm

Hi there! That's a rotten problem! How are your plugs? Are they black and sooty (what are you doing here?) they should be pale brown. If both are black then it could be a dirty air filter or non standard main jets installed to agree with the first exhaust but at odds with that which you have now indicating a need to revert to standard ones! Perhaps a renewal of all jets and check of slide needle heights and diaphragms would be beneficial.
Perhaps check compressions also?
If just one plug is black I would suspect that the appropriate main jet has fallen out!
Good luck with that scratch
trevor machine
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:58 am

Obvious point but I'll make it anyway - do you keep your bike in a garage and if so, can you smell petrol more than usual? If you do, and you cannot - it seems unlikely that there is a leak anywhere. At least in my experience - as everyone knows, petrol has a strong, distinctive aroma. It does not take much of it before a confined space starts to smell of it. I had a small suzuki and there was the smallest of leaks around the carbs - really a tiny amount - but the garage was quite fumey. So this is one thing to consider.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Oct 2019, 4:10 am