Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Touring tart ups

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Touring tart ups Empty Touring tart ups

Post by muttley1 on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 12:28 am

I've been in Devon and Cornwall for a week or two and have come across several touring bike combos:

BMW F800 with topbox and panniers
Yamaha Tenere (the modern one) with soft luggage
A few sets of new shiny Honda/BMW/Yamaha to the ends of the earth looking monsters
A couple of unfaired, well used UJM's (universal Japanese motorcycles) - including the inevitable bandit 600
A couple of Harleys, one cowhorn bars one ear-high apehangers, both with cowboy throwovers
A set of French guys all on unfaired Triumphs, mainly bonnevilles but a scrambler too

I've toured a few years ago on my cb5 with a small topbox and a puig screen and it went pretty well. Next go I'd add throwover panniers, a tank bag and a taller givi roadstar screen. Maybe wider bars too.
Key improvements though would be the saddle (it dips forwards so gets annoying with renthal bars which sit you more upright) and a quieter exhaust.

Anyone done anything special to help the miles go by?

muttley1
Crashtel
Crashtel
Squiddy
Squiddy

Touring tart ups Empty Re: Touring tart ups

Post by Crashtel on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 8:56 am

Well its a bag of worms really. I've toured on my 1200GS and enjoyed it. A few years back I renovated a honda c90 , I'd not had a small bike for years but I really enjoyed riding it, it just needed 10mph more. I sold that and have a Cg125, it does nearly 270miles on a tank, with a dry bag strapped to the back I have done a good few uk trips. I still carry my water in a small camel back rucksack and have a tank bag. The tent I use is one I used for cycle touring so its just a small 2 man thing I also carry a tarp. So small bikes are what I enjoy its like cycling with an engine. Once I have the cb500 roadworthy I'll do a few trips. As always with small bikes its trying to get one that faster than trucks, the cb500 is definitely that and economical, easy to fix - might become my new goto tourer! I have pretty much refined my kit - its the same as cycling but with a bigger tool pouch and I can carry a bottle of wine. As for kit all of my bikes have had Baglux tank covers which I then attach a tank bag to. They are quiet expensive but work for me. I've not really sorted my riding kit, I'm either roasting and dry or cold and sometimes wet and cold. Happy touring. T

Current date/time is Mon 16 Sep 2019, 9:27 pm