Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Carbs Flooding?

TheBlackPearl
TheBlackPearl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Carbs Flooding? Empty Carbs Flooding?

Post by TheBlackPearl on Sun 01 Sep 2019, 7:25 pm

Hi not been on here for a while. I have a problem I have just cleaned and rebuilt my carbs (1999 CB500s) new seals, O rings, float needle etc, everything looked OK. After fitting them I managed to get the bike started using a bottle of fuel hung-up to feed the carbs ready to set them up. Anyway left them for about 3/4 hour, when I went back about 100ml of fuel hand been used (No engine running) I'm guessing that the float needles aren't sealing? As they are new and the float heights were the correct I can only think taht it's the float needle seats, But they looked OK when I put them together. Could it be anything else? Is it possible to replace the Float needle seats as they didn't seem to screw out? Any suggestions?
burudis
burudis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Carbs Flooding? Empty vv

Post by burudis on Sun 01 Sep 2019, 7:35 pm

sometimes a blow in the vat with some wood, puts the needle in place
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Carbs Flooding? Empty Re: Carbs Flooding?

Post by ANDYC on Mon 02 Sep 2019, 8:19 am

If the fuel source is positioned too high it produces too much pressure  and overwhelms the float valves. Bear in mind that the fuel tank is only a few inches above the carbs.
TheBlackPearl
TheBlackPearl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by TheBlackPearl on Tue 10 Sep 2019, 11:41 am

Well after taken them apart for the third time I put the old needles back in and guess what...... no longer leaking. So much for new needles!
Rhys W
Rhys W

Post by Rhys W Today at 6:12 pm

Where did you buy the rebuild kit? I'm having an almost identical problem... I think.

My carbs were all gummed up so I cleaned them and got a new set of gaskets and needle. Now it starts most of the time, but floods very often.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 16 Sep 2019, 9:19 pm