Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

new 'un

trevor machine
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

new 'un Empty new 'un

Post by trevor machine on Thu 01 Aug 2019, 5:12 pm

new 'un D8ChWnu

W-reg CBR600FX ("Ultima Light"), last of the carb'd series. £2.3k. 8k miles. Bike is in a very, very good cosmetic state - and runs faultlessly. That said, I've already fitted new rear wheel bearings (the offside one had a fair amount of play, which I foolishly didn't detect before buying). It's also had an aftermarket fuel pump fitted. Is on very fresh Pirrelli Diabalo something or others.

The week before last my ninja had to go in for a wheel bearing and the guy who works on my bikes - Alan @ Merton in York - gave me his bike to get home on. It's a V-reg CBR600FX - cosmetically a bit challenged, but my god it rides well. That was my first time on the once ubiquitous CBR600F, and although it has a bit of a hole between 5-6k rpm I very, very quickly decided this is the bike I should've bought (nearly two years ago), instead of my V-reg ZX9R.

If the chassis of the ZX9R was as good as the motor it'd be one of the best bikes of its era. Fuck the R1 and the Blade. But unfortunately you have to be a bloody good rider to ensure it doesn't catch you out on the technical stuff. Some days it's as though it can tackle anything you throw at it - other days it doesn't want to know, runs wide, decides it no longer wants to stop, and is generally awkward all round. No doubt, the bike's chassis IS capable of great things. And on the roads I know blindfold, I can be smooth. Tricky stuff I'm not so familiar with, erm...yeah. Moving on.

So the CBR600F was a bit of a revelation. Everything was so stupidly easy. Less engine braking, but ace brakes, lovely light feel, accurate steering, ridiculously slick gearbox, turbine smooth engine - ace suspension. Short wheel base that's nimble, agile and yet not twitchy, and - despite small size and light weight - always a feel of being settled and calm. I totally get why these bikes have claimed so many lap records over the years, although another reason is simply because so many people bought them. They were excellent value - and now, are an even better buy.

new 'un M1ZeNy6

Ergos-wise the pegs are unnecessarily high, but the bars and seat make total sense. Also, this is a very quiet bike - until up around 10k when it starts to howl quite sweetly. 

Compared to the CB500 a well-maintained CBR600F should feel better in almost every way. Sure, it doesn't have that bouncy purr at idle - and yes, it may even lack a certain amount of pull where the 500 flexes its welterweight muscle. But once the 600's passed its laggy flat spot (they all do that sir) at 5-6k, the thing goes like billio. It does feel a little warm around town, and the clutch on both my bike and the one I borrowed is oddly late - not quite where you expect it, so you almost stall if you're doing tricky slow crap when filtering etc. The 500 and the heavier ninja have better clutches in this respect.

new 'un 4GrrqIx

The only real sense in which the ninja trounces the 600f is in a straight line. If you're not a decent rider, expect the 600 to be snapping at your heels once the twists tighten up a bit. That said, the ZX9R's ample dollops of power make overtakes so piss easy it's almost funny. Also motorway miles are fairly effortless. But, even though its really easy to ride slowly, and although town work is never a chore (for a big bike it loves filtering), it doesn't feel particularly light. It wants the bigger B-class roads - but remember those 6 pot tokicos aren't amazing.

I think, being honest, the CBR600f is the better bike for the kinds of roads I prefer. So I've climbed down a few rungs.

I don't plan to flog the ninja though - in part because I do around a thousand motorway miles per month for most of the year nowadays, but also because its engine is so strong and eager.

The 500 will probably stay in the fleet too - because it's part of the furniture now, and I'll always have a big soft spot for its utilitarian modesty, its understated / underdog character, and the fact that its a great bike for exploring towns and cities on. Something I've always loved doing ever since I got into riding.
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

new 'un Empty Re: new 'un

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 02 Aug 2019, 10:40 am

That is a lovely bike, I always wanted a CBR600 but have never had enough room for two bikes. One day :-)
hh_12345
hh_12345
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by hh_12345 on Fri 02 Aug 2019, 11:30 am

Thanks for the write-up, very informative.  study

The bike is looking great, and good to know it rides great too.

I would always keep the cb 500 -  not a classic, but somewhat the epitome of a motorcycle.

Especially if I am to own a fully faired  bike - if only to enjoy looking  at the cb 500 in the days when I'll wonder why I need a bike fully wrapped in plastic. Very Happy
trevor machine
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 02 Aug 2019, 5:55 pm

@hh_12345 wrote:Especially if I am to own a fully faired  bike - if only to enjoy looking  at the cb 500 in the days when I'll wonder why I need a bike fully wrapped in plastic. Very Happy

The air-cooled bikes of yore were always easy on the eye, with their finely cast cooling fins and bear alluminium cases, etc. But these days a bike's engine looks no more nor less interesting than the back of a washing machine. And I'm afraid to say the cb500 is not much of an exception.
trevor machine
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 06 Aug 2019, 6:54 am

Update - the CBR600F feels prone to heat, and you feel it on your thighs and arse. It hasn't been particularly hot round these parts recently - warm, but not heatwave hot, not by a long way. So I do think my bike if not all CBR600fs are quite hot blooded.

The second thing I'd say is that they're not particularly frugal. It's early days yet, but I honestly feel like zx9r uses LESS petrol! Bear in mind, I'm still settling in with this CBR, so I'm absolutely not thrashing it everywhere. Trying to be smooth and careful. Which doesn't bode particularly well.

Beyond those points, this is a superb bike. Turbine smooth, quiet, lovely suspension, decent brakes. I wish the indicator idiot lights were easier to see, and whilst the mirrors are good, they're better on both the ninja and the 500. But wow - it's a smashing bike that feels small, light and agile.
steeeve66
steeeve66
the 800
the 800

Post by steeeve66 on Sat 10 Aug 2019, 11:18 pm

Me on my CBR600F - brilliant track bike, rides beautifully.

new 'un D074d410[url=https://servimg.com/view/19122442/4]new 'un D074d410[/url]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 21 Aug 2019, 6:43 pm