Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Help - Clutch / Neutral Issues When Bike Is Warm

jbell77
jbell77

Help - Clutch / Neutral Issues When Bike Is Warm  Empty Help - Clutch / Neutral Issues When Bike Is Warm

Post by jbell77 on Thu 18 Jul 2019, 11:25 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a 1972 CB500. She runs amazing but lately I've been having an issue with the clutch that I can't figure out. 

When the bike is cold there are no issue. It shifts into neutral no problem and the clutch lever engages neutral easily. 
As the bike warms up it will not shift into neutral, however the clutch lever will still engage neutral. Once it gets even more hot, it won't shift into neutral and the clutch lever will no longer engage neutral when pulled in.

The clutch isn't slipping. Just neutral is the problem.

I'm thinking it's a clutch plate problem and maybe they are expanding with heat. Would replacing the clutch plates be my best option. Other people think it might be the cable adjustment or spring. Any ideas on what the problem is and the best solution.

Thanks so much in advanced, appreciate it.
burudis
burudis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Help - Clutch / Neutral Issues When Bike Is Warm  Empty tt

Post by burudis on Mon 22 Jul 2019, 12:54 pm

Tensioning test and / loosening clutch cable.

It is suspected that some disc is in poor condition and dilating is ovale
motofan
motofan
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Help - Clutch / Neutral Issues When Bike Is Warm  Empty Re: Help - Clutch / Neutral Issues When Bike Is Warm

Post by motofan on Fri 26 Jul 2019, 8:00 am

I assume you have the correct amount of slack in your clutch cable, as recommended in the manual. How much oil do you have in your engine? My 400/4 was ultra sensitive to the level and if you kept it just below the upper mark on the dipstick it was fine. If you had the level topped right up, impossible to find neutral, tapping the lever down from second with my heel was the only way I managed it! I assumed the problem was that the oil covered the clutch and made it stick, just a little lower and it didn't touch the clutch. If your oil level is right at the top mark, try taking a little out to about a quarter of the way down but obviously not too low!
Hope this helps, Dave.

Sponsored content

Help - Clutch / Neutral Issues When Bike Is Warm  Empty Re: Help - Clutch / Neutral Issues When Bike Is Warm

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 21 Aug 2019, 8:02 pm