Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Still got my old CB

vitesse

Still got my old CB Empty Still got my old CB

Post by vitesse on Tue 25 Jun 2019, 6:18 pm

I bought my 1997 CB500V in 2007 when I finally got round to taking my test at 47 years old. I bought it off a friend who had bought it new to use as his hack to go backwards and forwards to Spain. Bike only had 10,000 miles on it and had been stood for most of its life but unfortunately was left stood with half a tank of fuel in which had long since gone foul and had rusted the inside of the tank and gummed everything up through the whole of the fuel system. It took weeks to clean it out. Only residual problem from all that is that it does not like old fuel. If fuel is stood in the tank more than 3 weeks the bike is very reluctant to start and will require the fuel draining and changing. I presume this is from the rusting in the tank which I did mostly clear using the electrolysis method.

I finally got it going and took it for its very first MOT at 10 years old and then ran it for approx. 18 months before passing to my son when I upgraded, who passed it back when he upgraded. My wife then ran it for a couple of years until it came back to me again. It has now been stood again for a long time but at least the tank is dry.
I am retiring shortly so I intend to ressurrect the poor little green CB yet again. 
I post this as since registering in 2010 I have never posted to the forum. I would imagine there are many like me who have that little CB or other bike sat in the garage and are reluctant to get rid and have made the same statement to themselves that - "one day I will get the old bike going again." 

Thanks for reading,

Nick.
liverpool_f_
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Still got my old CB Empty Re: Still got my old CB

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 25 Jun 2019, 9:01 pm

Awesome job in putting the work in to bring it back to life! A lot of people would look at it as not worth much and just scrap it or leave it to die in a yard. It deserves to live again. 

Best of luck and post some pics!
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 26 Jun 2019, 9:57 am

Good to hear from you Nick, and I'm very pleased to hear another CB500V still lives!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 16 Sep 2019, 9:07 pm