Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Hagon fork springs, upping the oil?

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Hagon fork springs, upping the oil? Empty Hagon fork springs, upping the oil?

Post by muttley1 on Tue 25 Jun 2019, 2:34 pm

I'll be changing my fork oil pretty soon and have hagon springs. Apart from being fitted "wrong way" up to oe ones as standard they have 7.5w oil, which I find a bit bouncy. Anyone tried 10 or 15w oil?

Cheers

muttley1
wrighty
wrighty
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Hagon fork springs, upping the oil? Empty Re: Hagon fork springs, upping the oil?

Post by wrighty on Tue 25 Jun 2019, 5:54 pm

I believe 10w is standard. I considered changing to 15w but was advised upping the weight will slow the forks ability to react to either compression or rebound. A better way to stiffen up forks without slowing reaction is to fit spacers in fork tops, effectively preloading the fork springs.
liverpool_f_
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Hagon fork springs, upping the oil? Empty Re: Hagon fork springs, upping the oil?

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 25 Jun 2019, 8:54 pm

If you are doing the forks at home, how are you going to support the bike at the front?
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 25 Jun 2019, 9:43 pm

Cheers Wrighty,
The Hagons come with a litre of 7.5w and that's what they recommend for the cb5 too. I reckon going for 10w is worth a try as the 7.5w gives a bit of an underdamped feel. If its not a winner then spacers it is.

Liverpool F, I put the bike on a rear paddock stand, add a couple of chocks to stop the bike rolling, then put the bike on a front paddock stand. I've a car jack that goes under the sump that takes the weight off the front. I also put a couple of axle stands under the hangers in case of a clumsy moment.

I put a couple of planks under the front wheel so it is just supported, makes getting the axle etc out.

cheers

muttley1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 21 Aug 2019, 6:57 pm