Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Front Forks Rebuild

liverpool_f_
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Front Forks Rebuild Empty Front Forks Rebuild

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 23 Jun 2019, 10:08 pm

Hi all,

I am in need of a front fork rebuild. I have bought new stanchions as the others are very badly pitted as well as all the obvious seals etc. Does anyone think that the springs will need replaced as well? The bike is now 17 years old and has 88k miles on it. Is the consensus that the springs generally don't wear out or that after that time and milage, they need doing along with the rest of it.  

Also, does anyone have any decent methods for removing the front end in a driveway type situation. I have heard methods involving supporting the front with an A frame ladder. Anyone got suggestions or do I have to bite the bullet and pay for it to be done?

P.S. my trolley jack cannot be trusted to hold pressure for the length of time it would take to do 1 fork
hh_12345
hh_12345
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Front Forks Rebuild Empty Re: Front Forks Rebuild

Post by hh_12345 on Mon 24 Jun 2019, 8:18 am

I used a scissor jack to support the bike, but usually  a plastic bucket works too - the weight is mostly on the center stand so any object of some rigidity will work.

As for the spring - if I'm ever concerned about it - I'll just measure the length as per the manual instructions. 

When I rebuilt my forks the hardest part was putting the new seals in - it's good to have a seal driving tool or a tube of the right size for doing it.
liverpool_f_
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 24 Jun 2019, 8:59 pm

I had not considered that driving the seals on would be challenging. I don't have a vice either. Only a driveway and a kitchen table...
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 24 Jun 2019, 9:37 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:I had not considered that driving the seals on would be challenging. I don't have a vice either. Only a driveway and a kitchen table...

It's not that bad a job, just make sure the top bush is driven fully home before you install the seal, and a length of tube to use as a slide hammer makes it a piece of piss. Use one of the old seals to protect the new one when you're bashing it.
burudis
burudis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by burudis on Tue 25 Jun 2019, 11:57 am

the seals take their place supporting in them a tool with the same external diameter.
It also requires patience and common sense ... like everything.
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 25 Jun 2019, 2:40 pm

To the plumbers!

Plenty of piping there and I use a piece to help out with the fork seal changes. Its a fraction bigger diameter than the stanction and a fraction longer.

If you've not got support for the front of the bike put a weight (bags of sand etc) on the pillion seat and put the bike in first so it doesn't move too much when you are joggling the forks. Also, loosen off the bolts before getting the front off the ground.

muttley1
liverpool_f_
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 25 Jun 2019, 8:57 pm

I think this is doable on the driveway. Bags of sand have to be found now then!
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 26 Jun 2019, 9:55 am

@liverpool_f_ wrote:I think this is doable on the driveway. Bags of sand have to be found now then!

See if you can talk someone into sitting on the pillion seat for a couple of hours Razz
J0a
J0a

Post by J0a on Thu 27 Jun 2019, 11:51 pm

Is the rebuild already finished? 
When you have the front shock disassembled could you please take a few photo's and show me what size nut/bolt/torx? will fit in it the damper rod.
I want to make my own damper rod holding tool to keep the allen bolt in the bottom from spinning(like i endured last time Sad )
Couldn't find that info on this forum, and will help me (and others) tremendously thanks Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Sep 2019, 7:47 am