Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Starter Motor wont come out

Oafski
Oafski
Godly
Godly

Starter Motor wont come out Empty Starter Motor wont come out

Post by Oafski on Sat 08 Jun 2019, 2:19 pm

Bike has been a bit reluctant to start from cold for a little while and today it just wouldn't turn over more than a couple of times and then just the click from the solenoid. Battery voltage is 12.6 volts and getting voltage to the cable that runs to the starter motor. Earth is good. Undid everything I need to to remove starter motor but will it come off? will it bugger, just a little waggle is a good as it gets. I've tried a little leverage between the motor and the case where it pushes into but no joy and didn't want to do any damage. At this point I gave it best as it was blowing a gale where the bike is parked. Any one got any ideas, I have only previously removed starters from cars or Moto Guzzi and BMW bikes which have car type starters but once the bolts were undone they just fell out.
burudis
burudis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Starter Motor wont come out Empty tt

Post by burudis on Sat 08 Jun 2019, 3:17 pm

before attempting to start directly carried current from the positive battery to the engine start. If it starts it is clear that the fault is not in the starter.
The starter only has a toric joint in its union to the engine block, so with gentle blows with or interposing a wood should come out easily.
Spraying the site before with an unlocking will help.

Last edited by burudis on Mon 10 Jun 2019, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Starter Motor wont come out Empty Re: Starter Motor wont come out

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 09 Jun 2019, 7:45 pm

Easiest way which I found was to take the stator cover off and tap it out with a nylon hammer.
Oafski
Oafski
Godly
Godly

Post by Oafski on Sat 15 Jun 2019, 2:46 pm

Thanks for the above advice, which ultimately came in handy as I removed the motor today, one clout with the hammer on a piece of wood and out it came. Before removing it I did some more testing and found that the plug on the 3 yellows from the alternator was cooked and one of the wires had snapped so replaced that with 3 separate connectors. Fresh off the Optimate the battery still struggled to spin it over but it did start and getting a charge from the alternator now. Today after being left overnight it was back to square one with the Bike not quite catching on the first attempt and then not enough oomph to start it. Took the battery to my local dealer for testing and nothing wrong with that but the very helpful chap there said if you've got a lazy starter motor it will kill the battery in short order and could be sticking or worn brushes.
I have fairly local to me a place that does reconditioned ones so depending on price and timescale I will go there or get some brushes from Wemoto and do it myself.
Oafski
Oafski
Godly
Godly

Post by Oafski on Mon 17 Jun 2019, 10:06 am

Well according to their site the brushes are out of stock at Wemoto so have bitten the bullet and ordered the genuine bits from my local (10 miles) Honda, hopefully be there tomorrow. Eye wateringly expensive at just shy of £37, good job the old girl's worth it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jun 2019, 4:55 am