Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Rear light always off, turns full on when brake depressed

fgclark123
fgclark123
Running out of unique names

Rear light always off, turns full on when brake depressed Empty Rear light always off, turns full on when brake depressed

Post by fgclark123 on Thu 23 May 2019, 7:44 pm

Hi there,

Previously the rear light was always full on.

So I accessed the rear brake light switch, next to the rear brake pedal, and loosened the plastic nut, until the rear light went off.

Now it's in the sweet spot, so the rear light turns full on only when the brakes are depressed.

The problem is, when the brakes are not used, the rear light is completely off.

What could be the cause of this? Does anybody know?

Thanks a lot! I ride a fair bit at night so gotta sort it.
Crash- Elmit
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Rear light always off, turns full on when brake depressed Empty Re: Rear light always off, turns full on when brake depressed

Post by Crash- Elmit on Fri 24 May 2019, 12:17 am

twin filament bulb, so maybe the filament for the rear light has burnt out.
also check the fuse
fgclark123
fgclark123

Rear light always off, turns full on when brake depressed Empty Re: Rear light always off, turns full on when brake depressed

Post by fgclark123 on Fri 24 May 2019, 1:05 pm

Thanks. Where abouts is the fuse for the rear light? I've changed the bulb so perhaps it's that... thanks
Crash- Elmit
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit on Fri 24 May 2019, 2:42 pm

under the right hand side panel beneath the seat
fgclark123
fgclark123

Post by fgclark123 on Mon 27 May 2019, 6:35 pm

Nice one thanks. I had a look - they're all intact! There is a bit of white corrosion but that shouldn't matter.

Is there any further fault finding? Cheers. Gotta get this sorted.
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 27 May 2019, 7:40 pm

Have you got a meter? I would pop out the reflector and check you have 12v with the lights on. The common terminal is the base of the bulb, then you've got a live feed for brake on, and a live feed for tail light.
skyerae
skyerae
the 900
the 900

Post by skyerae on Tue 28 May 2019, 7:49 am

With above said multimeter check the bulb for continuity as well, even "new" bulbs can be dodgy. If you not sure how to do this I can write you through it if need be  Smile
fgclark123
fgclark123

Post by fgclark123 on Tue 28 May 2019, 3:17 pm

Nice one, thanks. I've ordered a multimeter. Out on the bike today, suddenly the rear light is working properly! BUT - the headlight now won't do hi beam or fog lights. And when I flick the fog light button, it refuses to illuminate in blue!

Honestly... I'm about to just take it to a garage and let them sort this. Obviously I'd rather not.
fgclark123
fgclark123

Post by fgclark123 on Tue 28 May 2019, 3:52 pm

Update: as if by magic it's all working again! Honestly.....!
skyerae
skyerae
the 900
the 900

Post by skyerae on Tue 28 May 2019, 4:35 pm

Electrickery is a Dark Art, before dabbling therin you need to draw a pentogram and find a black cat to sacrifice..........

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 23 Jul 2019, 6:32 am