Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Rear brake bulb stuck always on. Fault checking?

fgclark123
fgclark123
Running out of unique names

Rear brake bulb stuck always on. Fault checking? Empty Rear brake bulb stuck always on. Fault checking?

Post by fgclark123 on Sat 18 May 2019, 8:53 pm

Hi there, I've got a rear brake light always on - as in on when the brake is used.

Any idea where I should go to check connections? I've tried jimmying around the front and rear brake levers, but no luck. The brake light stays on.

I'm guessing one of the switches must be broken, but where would I locate those?

Thanks a lot
OorWullie
OorWullie
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Rear brake bulb stuck always on. Fault checking? Empty Re: Rear brake bulb stuck always on. Fault checking?

Post by OorWullie on Sat 18 May 2019, 9:43 pm

I had the opposite problem, brake light wasn't working off the rear brake pedal. Found a brand new one on ebay for£6, it's just behind the right footpeg and it's kind of the reverse of a switch, in that it gets pulled to active the light. There's an adjuster on it, so first thing to check is that there's enough slack for it to not be activated until the pedal is pressed. If that's not the problem then I can't help, electrics are not my strong point!
fgclark123
fgclark123

Rear brake bulb stuck always on. Fault checking? Empty Re: Rear brake bulb stuck always on. Fault checking?

Post by fgclark123 on Sat 18 May 2019, 9:52 pm

Sounds interesting - got a link for that ebay item?

I think the issue is connected with the rear brake pedal. It's hard to explain, but as I jimmied it around, it seemed like the rear was having some effect - maybe something's sticking...?

Safe riding thanks
OorWullie
OorWullie
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by OorWullie on Sat 18 May 2019, 11:10 pm

I'm not sure how to post a link but I put Honda cb500 rear brake light switch into an ebay search and a few choices came up.
OorWullie
OorWullie
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by OorWullie on Sat 18 May 2019, 11:14 pm

Fitting was pretty straightforward too, take the black right side panel off, follow the wiring up to find the correct connector, unplug it, disconnect the spring from the bottom of the switch behind the right rearset and pull the switch off. And in finest Haynes tradition, fitting is a reversal of removal!
fgclark123
fgclark123

Post by fgclark123 on Sun 19 May 2019, 11:32 am

Fantastic, thank you!
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 19 May 2019, 11:47 am

These are such a pain, I have always switched to a pressure switch built into a banjo bolt.
Anything for an easy life, especially when working as a courier all day.
burudis
burudis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by burudis on Sun 19 May 2019, 6:22 pm

disconnect handbrake connection and check, then idem on foot brake and if you do not look back at the pilot looking for a bad connection

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 23 Jul 2019, 5:39 am