Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Front Brake Master Cylinder Replacement

Scorgie88
Scorgie88
Godly
Godly

Front Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Empty Front Brake Master Cylinder Replacement

Post by Scorgie88 on Thu 16 May 2019, 7:52 am

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be replacing the front brake master cylinder this weekend, current one has been butchered by a local mechanic and now leaking brake fluid all over the fairing. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing a trick or anything to especially look out for. It seems quite simple, drain brake fluid, remove hose at cylinder, remove from handle bars, reverse to fit. Is that about it? 

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Rob
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Front Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Empty Re: Front Brake Master Cylinder Replacement

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 16 May 2019, 9:44 pm

@Scorgie88 wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm going to be replacing the front brake master cylinder this weekend, current one has been butchered by a local mechanic and now leaking brake fluid all over the fairing. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing a trick or anything to especially look out for. It seems quite simple, drain brake fluid, remove hose at cylinder, remove from handle bars, reverse to fit. Is that about it? 

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Rob

The only thing you might need to do is anneal the copper washers on the banjo bolt, other than that it's all pretty straight forward. Nothing worse than rebuilding it and you have a fluid leak Wink
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Front Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Empty Re: Front Brake Master Cylinder Replacement

Post by muttley1 on Fri 17 May 2019, 9:44 am

I put in a master cylinder kit when I did mine, its about £26 including the little piston, spring, circlip and grommet.

As said, new copper washers all round should mean no leaks. I bled the system trough a few times too to get accumulated crud out of it.

muttley1
burudis
burudis
Godly
Godly

Front Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Empty t

Post by burudis on Sun 19 May 2019, 6:16 pm

there is a kit to replace everything internal
Scorgie88
Scorgie88
Godly
Godly

Post by Scorgie88 on Mon 20 May 2019, 9:37 am

Thanks everyone, I've had to order a new aftermarket one, apparently Honda have discontinued the OEM ones. The one on there has been well and truly stuffed so I had little choice unfortunately.

@teamster1975 - How would I go about annealing them? Do I need to do it to a certain temperature?
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 20 May 2019, 5:39 pm

As it's Brembo, I'd be tempted to replace it with a Nissin cylinder. Much more easily sourced and cheaper to replace whole or overhaul. No difference in performance.
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 20 May 2019, 11:30 pm

@Scorgie88 wrote:Thanks everyone, I've had to order a new aftermarket one, apparently Honda have discontinued the OEM ones. The one on there has been well and truly stuffed so I had little choice unfortunately.

@teamster1975 - How would I go about annealing them? Do I need to do it to a certain temperature?

Just heat them with a blow torch until they are glowing red and then quench, they don't need a lot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 27 May 2019, 6:30 am