Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Brake bleeding?

OorWullie
OorWullie
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Brake bleeding?  Empty Brake bleeding?

Post by OorWullie on Tue 07 May 2019, 3:22 am

To make a short story long...

The threads for my mirrors are stripped, which means my mirrors won't tighten and keep spinning in when I ride. I have ordered new levers, and also a Haynes manual, but for now can anyone tell me about brake bleeding? I have bled the hydraulic disc brakes on my mountain bike and assume the process is identical. Take the top off the master cylinder, attach a hose to the bleed nipple on the caliper, loosen bleed nipple, pull brake lever, close bleed nipple, release brake lever, top up fluid in the master cylinder and repeat til there are no air bubbles, then put the top back on the master cylinder and its done.

Is the motorcycle bleeding procedure the same? Or have I missed something/got it completely wrong?

Thanks!
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Brake bleeding?  Empty Re: Brake bleeding?

Post by ANDYC on Tue 07 May 2019, 4:31 am

That's about it really Very Happy
These are probably about as simple a brake system as you can get.
OorWullie
OorWullie
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by OorWullie on Tue 07 May 2019, 4:35 am

Excellent, thanks. Just wanted to check the procedure is the same and something I'm confident with before ending up with a pile of bits soaked in brake fluid and an unrideable bike! Haynes manual and new levers should come this week so I know what I'll be doing on Saturday. Cheers.
cb500rider
cb500rider

Post by cb500rider on Sat 01 Jun 2019, 3:31 am

Yes, that is basically it but for an added measure you can tie wrap back the lever to leave it over night, as this will force any minuscule bubbles hiding to force them up into the reservoir.

REMEMBER to attach to your rubber tubing a device that only allows one way fluid flow to prevent air being sucked back in via the nipple, as you let go of the brake lever because you're dealing with a lot more fluid than found on an average mountain bike.
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 01 Jun 2019, 11:14 pm

@OorWullie wrote:To make a short story long...

The threads for my mirrors are stripped, which means my mirrors won't tighten and keep spinning in when I ride.

Daft question, why didn't you fill the threads with epoxy and screw the mirrors back in?
motofan
motofan
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by motofan on Sun 02 Jun 2019, 8:43 am

Helicoils, finer engineering solution than epoxy, a bit more costly but the mirrors are removable and adjustable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Sep 2019, 12:00 am