Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

fuel cap doesnt push lock just after filling up with petrol

haybunch
haybunch
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

fuel cap doesnt push lock just after filling up with petrol Empty fuel cap doesnt push lock just after filling up with petrol

Post by haybunch on Sun 05 May 2019, 7:01 pm

weird issue i have that seem to have popped up the last 2 refuelling. the gas cap would open normally but to close it again pushing it wont seal it, i have to turn the key manually to close it.. it would push lock again a few hours later but it failing when i actually need to use it is a bit annoying.. any ideas what gives?
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

fuel cap doesnt push lock just after filling up with petrol Empty Re: fuel cap doesnt push lock just after filling up with petrol

Post by Beresford on Mon 06 May 2019, 5:04 am

Probably a hose down with WD40 would sort it.
skyerae
skyerae
the 900
the 900

fuel cap doesnt push lock just after filling up with petrol Empty Re: fuel cap doesnt push lock just after filling up with petrol

Post by skyerae on Mon 06 May 2019, 6:18 am

Yeah, I used to lubricate mine when it used to stick and it would work fine for a few months and then play up again. I used Singer sewing machine oil as up here in Scotland the poor bike lived outside and was used in most weathers (NOT snow) so needed something stronger than WD40 which seems to mix with the snow, ice and slush (and salt) to form a lovely corrosive substance so I try not to use it outside.
motofan
motofan
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by motofan on Tue 07 May 2019, 1:05 pm

Dead right Skyerae! WD 40 is not a lubricant. It is marvellous for loads of things, freeing up stuck mechanisms etc. but once freed up then light oil on fine mechanisms (I favour cycle oil with Teflon) or engine oil or grease on bigger stuff (dissolve grease in petrol and it will run into awkward places, when the petrol evaporates the grease is left) or just a squirt of chain lube!
skyerae
skyerae
the 900
the 900

Post by skyerae on Tue 07 May 2019, 1:59 pm

You will be flamed by the rest of the baying mob for being questioning the mighty WD40  affraid       I steer clear of the stuff and use anything else as I know what a mess it made of my ignition leads when I used it to "dispel moisture"
motofan
motofan
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by motofan on Tue 07 May 2019, 2:20 pm

Oh dear! I did say it is great for loads of applications but lubrification is not one of them!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 21 Aug 2019, 7:49 pm