Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Regulator Failure

GGG267
GGG267
Squiddy
Squiddy

Regulator Failure Empty Regulator Failure

Post by GGG267 on Mon 22 Apr 2019, 10:12 pm

Failed regulator on a 2002 CB500S2, any experience of reason for failure, red white striped terminal seem to have got very hot resulted in smoke coming out of regulator case, I assume there must be a fault somewhere on the bike to cause this the bike has stood in the shed and found no power the 30 amp fuse had blown cannot understand how this happened as the bike was not being used I had left the battery connected, but checked battery voltage and seemed ok just below 12 volts

Any suggestions / ideas would be appreciated

Glenn

Last edited by GGG267 on Tue 23 Apr 2019, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Regulator Failure Empty Re: Regulator Failure

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 23 Apr 2019, 2:47 pm

You might have had some corrosion on that terminal causing it to arc and ultimately burn out, the same happened to mine, the terminal was green and very furry, same wire as well.

Regulator Failure UWbGBwU
GGG267
GGG267
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by GGG267 on Tue 23 Apr 2019, 3:18 pm

Possibly it had got hot, but not changed colour the wire insulation has melted slightly and is now a differant shape, I have ordered a new Regulator and hopefully the issue will be sorted, did the 30 Amp fuse go when yours failed?
Glenn
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 23 Apr 2019, 5:00 pm

@GGG267 wrote:did the 30 Amp fuse go when yours failed?
Glenn

Nope, I didn't have any component failure, there was voltage drop and eventually the battery stopped charging. I took a look at the connector and the wire came away from the plug! I cleaned up the female spade connector and was able to solder the wire back on and remake the plug, reg/rec was perfectly fine.

The wire was still barely making contact until I disturbed it, albeit with very high resistance on the positive output from the reg/rec, so I guess it would have blown the fuse eventually.
GGG267
GGG267
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by GGG267 on Tue 23 Apr 2019, 6:08 pm

Thanks chap
GGG267
GGG267
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by GGG267 on Fri 26 Apr 2019, 11:53 am

Replaced the regulator all seems Ok now, Still do not understand why it failed, hopefully problem solved fingers crossed and no more blown 30A fuses Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 20 Jul 2019, 11:02 am