Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

coolant over flow

geewhizz
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

coolant over flow Empty coolant over flow

Post by geewhizz on Thu 18 Apr 2019, 3:53 pm

Just got the bike started and idling on the drive way after it has being sat up in the garage since xmas when I flushed and changed the coolant. After it got up to temp it over flowed about 200ml of coolant particularly when I was revving it up. Would this be an indication of a blockage in the system? It started to heat up beyond half way, which is unusual for my bike so I shut the engine off. 

I'll take the tank off tomorrow and see if the coolant has recirculated back up but it did seem odd that it got so hot. 

Any thoughts?
hh_12345
hh_12345
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

coolant over flow Empty Re: coolant over flow

Post by hh_12345 on Thu 18 Apr 2019, 8:29 pm

No idea about the overflow.

I changed coolant too in the winter and first several starts the bike would heat up quicker than usual.

Topped up some coolant between those starts and now seems ok.
geewhizz
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 8:32 am

Thanks, 

Anyone know if it makes any difference which way round the thermostat goes in the housing as it fits in two ways? From memory, it didn't look like it would make much difference.
wrighty
wrighty
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by wrighty on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 10:14 am

Mr Haynes suggests it does matter. Hope these pics are clear enough. Hole in thermostat should face left side of housing (cb models).coolant over flow 20190410
coolant over flow 20190411
geewhizz
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 12:09 pm

Great info. Thanks for taking the time to upload the Haynes references. I'll be opening up the thermotate to check what i did.
geewhizz
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 5:08 pm

Interestingly my copy of the haynes manual does not mention the orientation of the thermostat. Anyhoo, I had to flip it round and that overflowing seems to have stopped. 

Almost ready for the 2019 inaugural test ride
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 9:56 pm

If memory serves me right, all thermostats have a "hot" side and if they are in the wrong way round, are not triggered to operate by the capsule part being in contact with the hot water, and therefore won't open.
I've had this experience with a couple of cars belonging to friends which were boiling for no obvious reason - "we think the head gaskets have gone"......
geewhizz
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sun 21 Apr 2019, 6:45 pm

130 miles says it's working just fine. 2bh I'm lucky I remembered being puzzled by its orientation or I can imagine fretting about a blown head gasket by now too Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 20 Jul 2019, 10:25 am