Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Rear Master Cylinder Rebuild Question

liverpool_f_
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Rear Master Cylinder Rebuild Question Empty Rear Master Cylinder Rebuild Question

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 01 Apr 2019, 9:15 pm

Hello all,

I have decided to rebuild my rear master cylinder and good thing I did because it was in a right state when I got into it!

The rebuild kit had a little pot of oily stuff with it and I was wondering if anyone has used it during rebuild of their master cylinders. The haynes manual makes no mention of needing any such substance. It does say to lube parts with new brake fluid. Is this what the tub of stuff is for? It is more of a waxy consistency so I don't know if it will work the same. I don't want to contaminate my new brake fluid by putting this other stuff somewhere it is not supposed to be.

Any suggestions?
Crash- Elmit
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Rear Master Cylinder Rebuild Question Empty Re: Rear Master Cylinder Rebuild Question

Post by Crash- Elmit on Tue 02 Apr 2019, 9:36 pm

I believe that is for putting in the boots to lubricate the sliding pins
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Rear Master Cylinder Rebuild Question Empty Re: Rear Master Cylinder Rebuild Question

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 02 Apr 2019, 9:45 pm

It's likely red rubber grease for when you insert the plunger into the bore, personally id just use brake fluid as a lubricant and forget about that little packet you received
liverpool_f_
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 02 Apr 2019, 9:48 pm

I think I will skip it then and just rebuild as per the Haynes with a bit of brake fluid. That does require opening my new bottle ahead of schedule though. These rear brakes are costing me a fortune by the time I am done with them!
skyerae
skyerae
the 900
the 900

Post by skyerae on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 11:38 am

That's why I had an old school drum brake............... Smile
liverpool_f_
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 10:22 pm

Well if you went through the drum brake and rebuilt the master cylinder, ordered new plunger link, new braided hose, new reservoir hose, new shoes, new drum and new wheel cylinders it wouldn't exactly be free!
skyerae
skyerae
the 900
the 900

Post by skyerae on Thu 04 Apr 2019, 11:15 am

Yeah, I suppose that'd be right, no wheel cylinder though. The shoes sere actuated by a cam which was oval at the contact surfaces on the shoes, and as this moved it caused the shoes to contact the drum. Very clever idea but my cam liked to seize in the brake drum case.Had to resort to brute force to get the b****y thing out and the following year it would the same. Probably to do with the tons of salt dumped on the Scottish roads in autumn, winter and spring  Crying or Very sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 20 Jul 2019, 10:43 am