Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Intermittent click from engine.

wrighty
wrighty
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Intermittent click from engine. Empty Intermittent click from engine.

Post by wrighty on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 12:55 pm

Just when I thought the project was about done it was just not running right and thinking 'fuel' carbs came off again (the carbs i paid to have cleaned)! Cleared the blocked main jet, replaced o-rings, refitted and tried again. Once fuel began to flow fired up ok, tickover a bit fast but easily fixed. Bear in mind haven't yet balanced them and mixture screws are at base setting, I now get an intermittent 'click' which sounds as if it comes from the top end and sounds mechanical. Might this be valve connected and could it be caused by out of balance carbs. I'm thinking my next step should be to check valve clearances, engine is at 29k miles. When I say 'intermittent ' I mean every 5 to 10 seconds or so.
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Intermittent click from engine. Empty Re: Intermittent click from engine.

Post by ANDYC on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 10:16 pm

Likely to be cam chain tensioner.
wrighty
wrighty
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by wrighty on Mon 11 Mar 2019, 10:23 am

@ANDYC wrote:Likely to be cam chain tensioner.

Many years ago I rode to Cyprus on a cb550k. Used to slacken the tensioner locknut wack it with a spanner and tighten up. Long time ago but I seem to remember some marks had to line up. You could hear the "ping" as the tensioner unstuck itself. Following the link from a previous thread I see the manual ones are still on ebay at £30. If proper carb setup makes no odds I'll have one.
wrighty
wrighty
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by wrighty on Mon 11 Mar 2019, 4:33 pm

@ANDYC wrote:Likely to be cam chain tensioner.

Andy, having cured a basic error the click seems to have disappeared  (forgot to put right side cover back on airbox, iguess so much air was getting in it was running lean and detonating. I know.....numpty!) However your comment focused my ear on the camchain and suffice to say a new manual tensioner will soon be on its way.
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Mon 11 Mar 2019, 6:58 pm

You know that it makes sense  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 27 May 2019, 6:07 am