Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

single "Click" when moving off

Matoo
Matoo

single "Click" when moving off Empty single "Click" when moving off

Post by Matoo on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 2:37 pm

Hi All, first post in here. 

I have had a 2000 model CB500 for 7 years now and very happy with her. I recently noticed a strange noise when rolling on the throttle, when in first or second gear.   The bike makes a single, crisp "Click" about half to one second after rolling on the throttle. Only in first and second gear. other than this, the ride is absolutely fine. no rattles, wobbles or anything unusual.  

I've checked for any loose components, tried tightening the chain, tried loosening the chain, everything else seems in order. I've also noticed that this happens after the bike has warmed up, say after 10 minutes of riding. Does not pop out of gear or any other sort of misbehaving. I've also tried rotating the rear wheel by hand when in gear, to the point of almos turning the engine over, but still can't replicate it.

Has anyone come across this before?  The bike has 45,000km on the clock. 30,000 of which have been since I bought her 7 years ago. Clutch is original, chain and sprockets were replaced 4 years ago.  my suspicions are with the transmission fork, something happening between 1 - N - 2. 

I'm reasonably mechanically capable but cannot for the life of me figure this one out. Any advice would be very much appreciated before I start stripping down the gearbox!
liverpool_f_
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

single "Click" when moving off Empty Re: single "Click" when moving off

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 9:30 pm

That sounds a tad strange! It sounds like it could be the gearbox, but it is worth exhausting every possible other thing first. Although it may do it more often than you think, but you just can't hear it in the higher gears because of the wind noise. Before tearing the gearbox apart check,

1. chain has no tight spots and sprockets are healthy looking
2. check there is no clonking in the front suspension including steering head bearing
3. check the oil incase the box is a bit starved from a low level

You might find something easy which could save you a lot of time
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 9:53 pm

I would check out the steering head bearings first.
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 9:54 pm

What condition are the brake pads in?
trevor machine
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 08 Mar 2019, 8:16 pm

A "click" sound seems to suggest an electrical type issue to me - but a "clunk" sound could be calliper or headstock related.

So - are you sure it's a click and not a clunk. No Saville inferences intended.
geewhizz
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sat 09 Mar 2019, 6:51 am

missing, broken or incorrectly installed front brake pad spring plate thing? I forgotten the correct name however, that's where I've resolved a clicking in the past.
Matoo
Matoo

Post by Matoo on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 9:01 am

@liverpool_f_ wrote:That sounds a tad strange! It sounds like it could be the gearbox, but it is worth exhausting every possible other thing first. Although it may do it more often than you think, but you just can't hear it in the higher gears because of the wind noise. Before tearing the gearbox apart check,

1. chain has no tight spots and sprockets are healthy looking
2. check there is no clonking in the front suspension including steering head bearing
3. check the oil incase the box is a bit starved from a low level

You might find something easy which could save you a lot of time

all in order here. chain is due for a clean, but otherwise in good condition Sad
Matoo
Matoo

Post by Matoo on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 9:02 am

@ANDYC wrote:I would check out the steering head bearings first.

steering head is OK.  also i can hear the sound coming from the rear half of the bike
Matoo
Matoo

Post by Matoo on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 9:03 am

@ANDYC wrote:What condition are the brake pads in?

worn, but not worn out. still have about 1.5 - 2mm left on each pad
Matoo
Matoo

Post by Matoo on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 9:08 am

@trevor machine wrote:A "click" sound seems to suggest an electrical type issue to me - but a "clunk" sound could be calliper or headstock related.

So - are you sure it's a click and not a clunk. No Saville inferences intended.

its definitely not electrical, unless its a loose neutral switch or something like that (Edit: if the neutral switch was at fault, surely i'd have issues with the warning light and starting the bike?). its a mechanical sound, not as heavy as a gear shift (hence click, not clunk  Very Happy  ) and i can feel it through the foot pegs.

i've checked calipers, brackets, wheel bearings, headstock. what's particularly odd is that it is happening after the engine warms up, say after 10 minutes or so of riding...

Last edited by Matoo on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Matoo
Matoo

Post by Matoo on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 9:10 am

@geewhizz wrote:missing, broken or incorrectly installed front brake pad spring plate thing? I forgotten the correct name however, that's where I've resolved a clicking in the past.

checked front and rear brake installation, all in order aside from slightly worn (But not excessively) pads. grabbed the calipers and tried moving them around with some force, no obvious problems there.
motofan
motofan
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by motofan on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 10:19 am

Could it be wheel sprocket or cush drive loose?
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 10:56 am

Slack chain taking up tension or a loose front sprocket.
Matoo
Matoo

Post by Matoo on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 11:20 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:Slack chain taking up tension or a loose front sprocket.

checked both. tried tightening the chain, no change. tried loosening the chain, no change. checked sprocket, all tight, no sign of movement (i'd expect this to be visible where the nut seats)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 26 May 2019, 9:56 pm