Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

rear axle spindle orientation?

haybunch
haybunch
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

rear axle spindle orientation? Empty rear axle spindle orientation?

Post by haybunch on Mon 04 Mar 2019, 12:45 pm

hi so i had to remove the back wheel today to replace a punctured tyre, my issue rn is from all the pictures and guides ive seen the axle head goes in from the sprocket side, but when i took mine off it was the other way around.. i pulled it out from the brake side and the "L" shaped washer was on the sprocket side. should i rreassemble it the way it was or should i follow diagrams? there are spacers for each side as well and not sure if theyre in the correct spaces or does it not matter where i put them?
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

rear axle spindle orientation? Empty Re: rear axle spindle orientation?

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 04 Mar 2019, 2:09 pm

Axle orientation doesn't matter, the spacers for the wheel does matter, small spacer between the disc and the caliper, bigger spacer at the other side
haybunch
haybunch
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by haybunch on Mon 04 Mar 2019, 7:21 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Axle orientation doesn't matter, the spacers for the wheel does matter, small spacer between the disc and the caliper, bigger spacer at the other side

thanks james. i ended up putting it back the way it was, as i thought thered be more space with the spanner on the sprocket side..
also one last thing, i just had an email from my local honda dealer (cause i spammed everywhere looking for tyre fitters) and asked me what brand i had cause they apparently have to match. i dont have them matched now with the old metzeler at the front and the fabled bt45 brand spanking new at the rear. is this an issue? should i have replaced the front tyre too?
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 04 Mar 2019, 7:41 pm

I wouldn't worry about running different tyres as the bt45 has a watergroove in the centre of the tyre.

If you were running something like a bt023 rear like me then I'd strongly advise on getting a matching front, as the 023 is slick in the rear so it would be the front dispelling the water leaving a clean evacuated area for the rear to go into.

Side note: I'd personally use Metzeler Roadtec 01's as my next set of tyres for the cb500.
haybunch
haybunch
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by haybunch on Mon 04 Mar 2019, 7:52 pm

mhy old one was a lasertec, cant really compare it with the new one yet. but i supose it was ok, id lift the front when giving it the beans instad of skidding so..

edit. and oh yeah i prefer the lasertec's tread pattern, looks the coolest imo
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 04 Mar 2019, 8:07 pm

bt45's have a little more grip in the wet than the lasertec but not much.
skyerae
skyerae
the 900
the 900

Post by skyerae on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 7:46 am

I had old Avon (Roadrunners - I think) when I bought the bike and they were treacherous in the extreme. They were only good once quite warm, but in the North East of Scotland this rarely happened. Used BT 45's and they were good. Used another brand (Michelin) and they were on par with the old Avon's. Back to Bridgestone BT45 and used them until I totalled the bike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Sep 2019, 2:21 pm