Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

The CB is dead, long live the CB!

steeeve66
steeeve66
Godzilla
Godzilla

The CB is dead, long live the CB!

Post by steeeve66 on Sun 03 Mar 2019, 4:52 pm

My beloved 2001 CB500S finally bit the dust at the clumsy hands of a Mercedes driver not looking before turning right, in to my path. It's gone. I bought it 8 years ago with 14k on the clock and it was faultless for the following 116k miles - yup; 130000 miles in total (with just one 'proper' garage service at 30k!) and it was still going strong! Just not as strong as big German car sadly.
The driver fessed up, insurance payed out and I've just take delivery of 2017 CB500F, in Orange. Do we accept 'new' CB500 riders on here...?

..I think we should.

Steve

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: The CB is dead, long live the CB!

Post by sullivj on Sun 03 Mar 2019, 7:02 pm

Steve,

Sorry to hear of the demise of your bike. Glad you were seemingly OK.

Yes, please stick around. Anyone that's done that kind of mileage on their humble Cb deserves lifetime membership. 

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the new bike.
trevor machine
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 05 Mar 2019, 11:10 am

It had a really good innings - nice one! Hope you yourself were okay - that's the only thing that matters tbh.
steeeve66
steeeve66
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by steeeve66 on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 5:11 pm

Having spent a bit of time with it.. Here's my thoughts on the new CB (mine is the 2017 model).

Bit of background; I used to own 2 bikes; a GSX-R750 and a KTM Superduke 990 (I still own the KTM). In 2010, however, I moved out of Central London and in with the Mrs in North Kent. I needed something to commute on and the two bikes I owned were, well, lets just say; not suited..
So I popped in to Crayford and bought a CB500S - £1400 with, I think, 17k miles on. I din’t know much about them, just assumed it would be an OK winter hack to rack up dull, commuter miles.
But it was a brilliant bike, best I’ve ever owned - bullet-proof durability (although there may have been an element of ‘Trigger’s Broom’ about it, lol) only once, in over 8 years of near daily use did it ever not get me home - and that was only because i let the battery go too long without checking it. I had it serviced properly just the once - at 32k miles - and after that just my own servicing and repairs (oil and filter every 4k, etc). It went for 130,000+ miles before I lost it.
The bike was a work of genius. 
In the event it’s days were numbered anyway - Sadiq Khan is determined to apply the ULEZ to everyone in London, including bikes, and the CB, while durable, barely met Euro 1, never mind Euro 3. After April I’d not have been able to use it.
In the event that became academic - as, a few weeks ago, a Mercedes pulled in front of me and the bike lost the ensuing battle.

So, the new CB - Mine is a used CB500F 2017, 5.5k miles, one owner, with Heated grips and top box for £3600. You can pick up a new 2018 F for £4999 as the new CB500 has been revised for 2019. It’s a lot of money if you haven’t recently benefitted from an insurance payout but, for a bike you can ride in to central London without having to pay Mr Khan and extra fee (of 12 quid a day I might add!) for the privilege, not too bad.

First off - It’s a better bike then the old CB: better made, better economy, better lights, better dash, better gearbox, better engine, better brakes (abs as standard) and a lot lighter - what you get these days for 5k bike is amazing - bolts, downpipes, fixings are all in winter-friendly stainless steel (Only A2 spec but still nothing like as rust prone as before). The suspension feels ‘slightly’ better; it being lighter than the old CB you feel more of what is going on on the road - not always desirable on a crumbling Lewisham A-road.
I’m getting around 240miles out of 14.7ltrs of fuel - my commute is around 40mins, a mix of 70, 50 and 30mph.

Here’s what I don’t like though… The bike was clearly interfered with by Honda’s Marketing Department at an early stage - the result is a more ‘exciting’ riding position (not unlike my KTM, although not as tall); fine if you’re zipping around in the country but irritating if your weaving through grumpy traffic on a wet Tuesday morning. 
Which brings me to the throttle: the new bike has a great engine - you really wouldn’t know it was A2 license friendly - but it’s a struggle at 5, 10 and 15mph. It snatches and jumps between 1st and 2nd gear if you’re not concentrating - and if you’re filtering through wet, diesel soaked roads populated with dumb, mobile-phone using drivers then sometimes you’re not..
The new bike just doesn’t have the effortless ‘you can just let it get on with working while you concentrate on the road’ feel.
It also has less storage (about half as much). And no centre-stand (which i really miss). If you get the F model and go over 50mph for any length of time you’ll need a screen (I got the Powerbronze one, 70 quid I think).

To sum up: it’s a better bike, great value - but less suitable as a commuter. Next month I’d have had to have stopped using the old CB anyway, I knew I’d miss it and, as good as the new bike is, I was right.

Feel free to ask any questions…

S
steeeve66
steeeve66
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by steeeve66 on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 5:16 pm

PS: The new 2019 CB500 is supposed to have a better throttle a low speeds - but i've not ridden it..

Colour dash too! Woot!
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 9:54 pm

Thanks for the write up.

I think I'd miss the 'character' of my humble CB. I have other bikes, but can't seem to bring myself to part with the CB. Why would I? It's not worth much, and it does everything I ask of it. I like the look of the new CB, but I honesty don't want one. 

If I had your ULEZ problem, I'd probably think differently though.
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 11:18 pm

I like old fashioned white on black instruments. I have a car with some kind of LED dials which are totally illegible in sunshine. The B&W dials on the CB are visible under ALL conditions. Much more satisfactory.
skyerae
skyerae
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by skyerae on Fri 15 Mar 2019, 7:40 am

I have the same issue with the VFR800, the throttle at low rpm is either off or on, very snatchy. Apparently a Power Commander sorts this out (for a lot more money)............ The CB was so easy and smooth compared to this, I far preferred it at lower rpm. These bikes were mostly stock, both have (had in the CB's case) stainless exhuasts but not anything more. I also miss my CB500, but with the payout I got was pitifully small, it was 24 years old though and extremely rough looking (but engine wise fine)
hh_12345
hh_12345
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by hh_12345 on Mon 18 Mar 2019, 9:52 am

@steeeve66 wrote:although there may have been an element of ‘Trigger’s Broom’ about it, lol

Mine is slowly turning in to a Trigger's broom too.

The tank was rusty and a got another.

One of the carb heating fittings disintegrated while disassembling the carbs, the carbs themselves didn't survive disassembly for cleaning so it was new carbs.

One of the pipes of the thermostat housing also disintegrated while I was cleaning it - so it was new thermostat.

I thought it was a good idea to clean the rusty fuel tap by soaking it with rust remover - so it was a new tap.

I finally bought a torque wrench, only to start snapping bolts with it. Luckily I managed to remove the tensioner and valve cover bolts remains, else it would have been a new engine too, lol.
burudis
burudis
Rossi
Rossi

Post by burudis on Tue 19 Mar 2019, 8:11 pm

not best motor. at least 8 HP less.
ceejay
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Tue 19 Mar 2019, 9:51 pm

Nice write up!

I've had a more modern Yamaha with the same twitchy throttle problem at low speeds, it's amazing how common that problem still seems to be with modern fuel injection bikes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Mar 2019, 11:05 pm