Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Start motor ground wire goes where?

gareth
gareth

Start motor ground wire goes where? Empty Start motor ground wire goes where?

Post by gareth on Thu 14 Feb 2019, 7:54 am

Hi all,

I hope this isn't a daft question but the earth wire going from the start motor - where does the other end go?! Haynes manual only references the start motor end and my strip down pics don't cover it!

Don't think it goes direct to the battery as the wire seems too short so imagine it went on to the frame somewhere.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks.

P.S. I wondered if it would be worth sharing some of the bike strip down pictures? Could be useful for others....
hh_12345
hh_12345
Running out of unique names

Start motor ground wire goes where? Empty Re: Start motor ground wire goes where?

Post by hh_12345 on Thu 14 Feb 2019, 8:06 am

I think it is supposed to be under one of the starter mounting bolts, but I am not sure. 

I'll have a look in the evening.
Sharing cb500 pictures is always welcome. cheers
gareth
gareth

Start motor ground wire goes where? Empty Re: Start motor ground wire goes where?

Post by gareth on Thu 14 Feb 2019, 8:11 am

Thanks for coming back - yes, I know it goes on to one of the starter mounter bolts but the other end - where does that go to? Start motor bolt to -> ?

If you don't mind having a look that would be most appreciated!
wrighty
wrighty
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by wrighty on Thu 14 Feb 2019, 5:49 pm

When I inherited my bike the negative lead from the battery went directly to the starter motor bolt. As i have been jiggering about with electrics, wiring etc, and the battery is now under the rear of the seat, this question also cropped up for me. I found Mr Haynes a bit confusing but in the end left it as was, ie battery negative to earth at the starter motor mounting bolt.  It occurred to me that if that bolt was a good earth for the battery then the starter motor was already earthed by that bolt. They should refer to it as "battery earth at starter motor" rather than "starter motor earth wire". Hope I haven't confused you more.
hh_12345
hh_12345

Post by hh_12345 on Thu 14 Feb 2019, 8:24 pm

I did take a look and the wire disappears under the battery box seemingly reappearing at the other side and into it to the battery negative lead- 
I was not sure it was the same wire , but wrighty's post confirms it.

Start motor ground wire goes where? Sam_4512
Start motor ground wire goes where? Sam_4511
burudis
burudis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by burudis on Fri 15 Feb 2019, 11:47 am

starter motor wire is positive.ground baterry and st. motor is through screw/s.

With respect to the negative battery cable, hold the cable in battery with one hand and with the other ground cable strip in the starter motor. you will see that it is the same
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 15 Feb 2019, 5:13 pm

Starter Motor ground cable goes directly back to the battery.
gareth
gareth

Post by gareth on Tue 19 Feb 2019, 7:42 am

Thanks all. Got it hooked up straight back to the battery at the weekend!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 20 Jul 2019, 10:16 am