Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Reg/Rec issue

Crash- Elmit
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Reg/Rec issue Empty Reg/Rec issue

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 26 Jan 2019, 5:00 am

now the 500 is back together I began to use it again because of the recent snow we had here in Kettering and I do not want to drop the 600 as it would be an expensive repair bill.

due to a previous mishap with the reg/rec I fitted a clock/thermometer/batt voltage level indicator.

I wired it in to the bikes electrics so that it comes on when ignition is turned on by an earth straight to the battery and the live to the fuse box on the right hand side of the bike. I wedged a very narrow terminal into  a crease on the underside of the fusebox, where the black wire exits the box.

(before fitting this meter I had some how managed to flatten the battery when running the bike on tickover while making sure everything was working ok, though the battery went on the bike fully charged, I just assumed I had got the tickover set to slow to generate current, but now I'm not so sure.) 

I rode back to Rothwell from Northampton with no problems, and the meter showed a healthy 14.3v with lights on so no worries there.
following morning I went to Kett PO to collect the JIS screwdrivers, and after a initial reluctance to start on choke (I need a new cable as outer is only just in the cable clamp) it fired up an burbled along nicely.
come back to bike from PO and it fired up immediately. rode it to morrisons to do some shopping, came back to bike and it just refused to even turn over so had to use my booster pack to fire it up ( brilliant bit of kit)
rode home, got ready for work early just in case, but bike fired up immediately again so put morrisons down to a glitch. scratch  On ride home from work at 3.30 am I noticed I was only showing 11.1v with lights on and revs of 6000rpm, so knew there was an issue somewhere. Friday morning again fired up immediately, rode back to my garage and still showing low readings on meter, varying between 11.1v and 13.5v.

On inspection I found the centre pin of the three yellow wires has gotten hot and burnt/melted the connector block so it was fused to the reg/rec. I fitted the spare I have from the loom I got from a forum member but I am getting roughly the same voltage readings.

Has the way I fitted the voltage meter caused this or something else? scratch study confused
Boodysaspie
Boodysaspie
Squiddy
Squiddy

Reg/Rec issue Empty Re: Reg/Rec issue

Post by Boodysaspie on Thu 07 Feb 2019, 10:44 am

I suspect your flat battery issues were caused by a dodgy reg/rec. Since you have now fixed that, you need to test whether your battery is knackered. You can only run a battery flat a few times before it fails. If the battery is 5 yrs old it could be ready for replacement.

1) Here's a guide:

https://www.electrosport.com/pages/technical-resources

or 2) Now your reg/rec is sorted, try swapping batteries with a known good battery (your 600?)

or 3) Get a proper answer from an autoelectrician.

Good luck!
Crash- Elmit
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit on Fri 08 Feb 2019, 4:42 am

Thank you for the info Boodysaspie.
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 08 Feb 2019, 7:47 am

I can't understand why everyone seems to have problems with the regulator/ rectifier. I found that the issue always began with the alternator and/or the battery. 
As a courier that didn't respond well to the cold, I  would run a heated jacket / insoles and handlebar grips. As well as the headlight all the time. 
Now as the drain was more than our trusty steed of choice was able to support I upgraded the battery to a 14ah one and the alternator to one from a cbr1100xx blackbird. These worked fine with an original reg/rectifier, I fitted a voltmeter to keep an eye on things but never had any problems. This was run all day everyday for years. 
A thought, as a problem has reared its ugly head on my car though. The wiring as it gets older and deteriorating gets brittle and corroded. This will create higher resistance through the circuit which will result in more heat generated. It also causes a lot of false readings from the sensors  (in my cars case) which rely on the resistance levels when the wires were new as their settings.
burudis
burudis
Rossi
Rossi

Post by burudis on Fri 08 Feb 2019, 6:34 pm

check another post about shindengen reg/rectif  F type mosfet
burudis
burudis
Rossi
Rossi

Post by burudis on Mon 11 Feb 2019, 6:20 pm

http://www.roadstercycle.com/Easy%20Mosfet%20Install.htm

http://www.roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20Mosfet%20Regulator%20about.htm
skyerae
skyerae
the 800
the 800

Post by skyerae on Tue 12 Feb 2019, 8:52 am

The wiring on French built cars are notorious for wiring issues. I speak from experience and will never allow a French car in my family,I even advise my friends to avoid them. If you like auto-electricians and being parted from large sums of money let me not dissuade you from owning one.
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Tue 12 Feb 2019, 9:08 am

Mine's a jaguar.
skyerae
skyerae
the 800
the 800

Post by skyerae on Tue 12 Feb 2019, 9:15 am

And here I was thinking they were reliable cars  Shocked
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 12 Feb 2019, 2:07 pm

My current Citroen which I've had for 6 years, now on 85,000 miles is the most reliable car I've ever owned. My previous BMW was the worst.

Incidentally, the secret with reg/recs is "series type" not mosfet which is old technology now.
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Tue 12 Feb 2019, 4:25 pm

Well to be honest,  Mine's more of a Mondeo in a posh frock, as I wanted a 4x4 estate I went for the X type.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 18 Apr 2019, 9:42 pm