Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Centre stand issue on rebuild

gareth
gareth

Centre stand issue on rebuild

Post by gareth on Sun 20 Jan 2019, 10:31 pm

Hi there,

My first post to the forum and hoping someone kind can help me please. Been working on a CB500 rebuild for a couple of months now and got to the point of putting it back together after much cleaning and painting but I've hit a problem. My centre stand seems to hit the swing arm! I can't work out what I've done wrong - looked at pictures taken during the teardown and also on the schematics/diagrams and that but for some reason, the centre stand is not parallel to the frame and goes all the way up, to a diagonal position where it comes to rest on the swing arm. Shocked

I can probably post a picture but just wondered if anyone could please tell me what stops the stand going all the way up? I've tried the spring in various positions and made sure it's the correct spring (not side stand one, though they seem very similar).

Any help much appreciated. Wish I'd taken even more 'before' photos as I can't solve this mystery!

Thanks.
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Centre stand issue on rebuild

Post by Beresford on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 5:29 am

There is a stop on the exhaust link pipe.
gareth
gareth

Post by gareth on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 7:14 am

Thanks Beresford, that's great. I realised it would actually hit the chain before the swing arm! 

I can see on the downpipes there's a bit called 'rubber muffler mounting' on the parts diagram, I guess that must be it. I didn't notice before.

Thanks again.
hh_12345
hh_12345
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by hh_12345 on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 7:23 am

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb500-1996-t-germany_model1568/partslist/F__1700.html#.XEVypHUzbmE

It is actually number 8 - "RUBBER,RR.COWL ST" - attached to a bracket on  the original exhaust silencer (some aftermarket exhausts also have the bracket, others don't)
gareth
gareth

Post by gareth on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 7:56 am

Ah that's annoying. I didn't realise and now have a replacement exhaust (Emgo reverse cone) which has no such bracket or stopper.
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 11:26 pm

@gareth wrote:Ah that's annoying. I didn't realise and now have a replacement exhaust (Emgo reverse cone) which has no such bracket or stopper.

There is a way around this, when I bought my Laser system many moons ago it came with a couple of bits of metal, one L shaped which bold together through the centre stand, it makes it sit in the right place. I'll take a photo if I get a chance tomorrow.
gareth
gareth

Post by gareth on Tue 22 Jan 2019, 7:43 pm

Firstly - thanks to @[url=/u2086]hh_12345[/url] for the link and telling me where the part was.

And to @teamster1975 if you could send a pic, that would be fantastic please. I figured I'd have to either ditch the centre stand or I have a welder so could do a bit of a hack and stick a bracket with a stopper on it, somewhere...
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 2:17 am

@gareth wrote:I figured I'd have to either ditch the centre stand or I have a welder so could do a bit of a hack and stick a bracket with a stopper on it, somewhere...
In the pastI have used a  car exhaust clamp - the threaded 'U' shaped one with the two nuts and a piece of metal fastened across them to make a stop for the stand. not pretty, but it works.
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 10:34 am

Weather has been a bit rubbish, I'll get a photo when it clears up a bit!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Feb 2019, 3:19 am