Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Hole through the engine. Whats it for?

dv12
dv12

Hole through the engine. Whats it for? Empty Hole through the engine. Whats it for?

Post by dv12 on Thu 17 Jan 2019, 12:24 am

I am fixing up a cb500 I picked up for cheap a couple of months back.
Tonight I was putting the rocker cover back on after doing the valves and noticed oil coming from a small hole that appears to run through the engine on the left side. 
Its just above where the head gasket would be.
Just wondering if there is a part missing or something from the engine. Wouldn't surprise me given the state of the bike. 

I should say I was pouring some oil around the cam holders and buckets prior to putting the cover on, and some might have went down the spark plug hole to the piston. I'm thinking that might have caused the oil weeping from the mystery hole. 

Anyone know what its for?
wrighty
wrighty
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Hole through the engine. Whats it for? Empty Re: Hole through the engine. Whats it for?

Post by wrighty on Thu 17 Jan 2019, 8:36 am

I believe you're talking about the drain hole which allows moisture to drain from the spark plug recess. If you've tipped oil down there that would explain it.
dv12
dv12

Hole through the engine. Whats it for? Empty Re: Hole through the engine. Whats it for?

Post by dv12 on Thu 17 Jan 2019, 10:08 am

Yes. That would explain it. Thanks for the info. 
Glad its nothing to worry about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Sep 2019, 2:06 pm