Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

5w 30

Share

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Posts : 811

5w 30

Post by muttley1 on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 7:57 pm

Hi,
one of my cb5's has always had 5w30 oil, its now at 44k and runs well on it. I did see cheap oil in Home Bargains of all places, £15.99 for 4l. Its fully synthetic. I'm tempted to go with this over the usual Hein Gericke 10w 40 semi synthetic.

What do folks reckon?

muttley1
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1653
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: 5w 30

Post by Beresford on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 8:07 pm

I've laid in a few containers of the Home Bargains offer synthetic 5W30 for use at normal UK (and Ireland!)  temperatures . If we had a heatwave I'd be looking for something else in the 10W40 range

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Posts : 811

Re: 5w 30

Post by muttley1 on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 8:11 pm

Cheers,
no heatwaves on the horizon. My 5w30 bike does start more easily than the other but when they are on the move no difference in engine performance.

I'll drop by HB tomorrow and get a couple of containers.

muttley1
avatar
kungfupoodle
Godzilla
Godzilla

Posts : 238

Re: 5w 30

Post by kungfupoodle on Tue 18 Dec 2018, 8:44 am

I'm all in favour of having the Winter number as low as possible (5W or 0W) as it flows better when cold.
avatar
burudis
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Posts : 49
Location : Torroto

Re: 5w 30

Post by burudis on Tue 18 Dec 2018, 12:27 pm

always use 5W30 car liquimoly top tec 4200

30 years with not slipping clutch


Last edited by burudis on Fri 11 Jan 2019, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
bviep
Squiddy
Squiddy

Posts : 19

Re: 5w 30

Post by bviep on Thu 20 Dec 2018, 8:38 pm

I’m using Motul 7100 5W30, it shifts gears better then 10W40 I’ve used

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Posts : 811

Re: 5w 30

Post by muttley1 on Wed 09 Jan 2019, 5:24 pm

Halfords have an offer on Castrol Magnatec, £17 for 4litres. Picked one up for the car, might well get another in for the bike.

muttley1
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2885
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: 5w 30

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 09 Jan 2019, 8:11 pm

@muttley1 wrote:Halfords have an offer on Castrol Magnatec, £17 for 4litres. Picked one up for the car, might well get another in for the bike.

muttley1

Pretty decent price, their trade price is only £16.50 for it
avatar
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Posts : 648

Re: 5w 30

Post by geewhizz on Wed 09 Jan 2019, 9:53 pm

Hmm... which one should we buy? 5w30 A5, or C3, or the 10w40 A3?
avatar
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Posts : 651
Location : Chester

Re: 5w 30

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 1:21 pm

All three of those Magnatec oils contain additives which are likely to cause a wet clutch to slip.

If you want cheap but good oil that conforms to JASO specs then I'd recommend this https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-73843-shell-advance-ax7-10w-40-four-stroke-engine-oil.aspx - currently £19.99 for 4 litres or £36.95 for 8 litres.
avatar
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1382
Location : dublin

Re: 5w 30

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 11 Jan 2019, 10:13 am

Ive halfords 10/40 semi  car oil(green halfords brand) for years in both cb&cbs never had any problems... With the  clutch
avatar
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Posts : 651
Location : Chester

Re: 5w 30

Post by jchesshyre on Fri 11 Jan 2019, 11:43 am

@wornsprokets wrote:Ive halfords 10/40 semi  car oil(green halfords brand) for years in both cb&cbs never had any problems... With the  clutch

This may well not contain friction modifiers that cause wet clutch slip - not all car oils do, but by the sound of it the Castrol Magnatec does - '...has Intelligent Molecules, which cling to your engine to form an extra layer that protects during warm-up and beyond. The Intelligent Molecules cleverly bond to metal surfaces making engine parts more resistant to wear and gives you super performance under extreme cold start up conditions.'
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1653
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: 5w 30

Post by Beresford on Fri 11 Jan 2019, 1:07 pm

Has ANYBODY on here ever had clutch problems due to using car oil ? It would be interesting to know.
avatar
hh_12345
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Posts : 161

Re: 5w 30

Post by hh_12345 on Fri 11 Jan 2019, 1:17 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:

@wornsprokets wrote:Ive halfords 10/40 semi  car oil(green halfords brand) for years in both cb&cbs never had any problems... With the  clutch



This may well not contain friction modifiers that cause wet clutch slip - not all car oils do, but by the sound of it the Castrol Magnatec does - '...has Intelligent Molecules, which cling to your engine to form an extra layer that protects during warm-up and beyond. The Intelligent Molecules cleverly bond to metal surfaces making engine parts more resistant to wear and gives you super performance under extreme cold start up conditions.'

I guess those molecules are intelligent enough not to bond to clutch plates. drunken
avatar
GollyGosh
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Posts : 211
Location : Grimsby, Lincolnshire

Re: 5w 30

Post by GollyGosh on Fri 11 Jan 2019, 2:13 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:All three of those Magnatec oils contain additives which are likely to cause a wet clutch to slip.

If you want cheap but good oil that conforms to JASO specs then I'd recommend this https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-73843-shell-advance-ax7-10w-40-four-stroke-engine-oil.aspx - currently £19.99 for 4 litres or £36.95 for 8 litres.



Best buy from opieoils is 16ltr (4x4ltr) £72.95 and qualifies for free postage. 

Note: 1x4ltr + £4.99 postage = £24.98

Currently on eBay 1x4ltr £21.50 with Free delivery
avatar
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Posts : 285
Location : Rothwell, Nr Kettering

Re: 5w 30

Post by Crash- Elmit on Fri 11 Jan 2019, 3:03 pm

I cant remember what oil I had put in not long after buying the CB, but clutch started slipping on the A47 towards Peterborough during a trip to Skeggy. I thought the plates were worn out so bought a new set, including stronger springs from EBC, and stipped clutch to fit them but there was nothing wrong with original plates and they were also near top limit in thickness. The only issue I could see was some slight bluing to the metal plates.

(It's not good when engine speed starts to climb rapidly but road speed stays the same)
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1653
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: 5w 30

Post by Beresford on Sat 12 Jan 2019, 12:24 am

What did you do to solve the problem ? Change everything or just the oil ?
avatar
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Posts : 285
Location : Rothwell, Nr Kettering

Re: 5w 30

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 12 Jan 2019, 2:31 am

@Beresford wrote:What did you do to solve the problem ? Change everything or just the oil ?

I flushed the system, put a new oil filter on and filled it with Halfords 10w40 and put the old plates back on.
The clutch has been fine since
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1653
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: 5w 30

Post by Beresford on Sat 12 Jan 2019, 9:52 am

@Crash- Elmit wrote:and filled it with Halfords 10w40
Car stuff ?
avatar
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Posts : 285
Location : Rothwell, Nr Kettering

Re: 5w 30

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 12 Jan 2019, 1:03 pm

@Beresford wrote:

@Crash- Elmit wrote:and filled it with Halfords 10w40


Car stuff ?

No, it was 4 stroke motorcycle oil

Sponsored content

Re: 5w 30

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Mon 21 Jan 2019, 9:52 am