Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

brake disc

rick1
Squiddy
Squiddy

brake disc

Post by rick1 on Fri 07 Dec 2018, 12:09 pm

As my front tyre kept losing pressure I decided to have the inside of the wheel polished as it was porous, with the wheel off I noticed that the disc had a small crack in it. Damn and blast! Therefore a new one was on the cards so ordered one, it duly arrived two weeks later so could begin changing it.

As the bike is nearly 20 years old had to heat the disc to remove bolts a real struggle but new one fitted along with new pads and braided hose, hope to feel the benefit of it once pads bedded in.

Cost.
Disc £110
Pads £18 
Hose £32

Disc is something I would imagine not many people check so might be worth having a look.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: brake disc

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 07 Dec 2018, 6:17 pm

Nice one Rick, I've never had a disc crack on the CB but it did happen on a mates Daytona.
Easiest way to get the bolts out is with an impact driver.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 07 Dec 2018, 11:03 pm

I'm not surprised you had to heat them up; they are usually pretty reluctant to move!

The new hoses should reduce some of the sponginess.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 10:00 am

Never had a disc crack on a bike but bought a really dodgy Peugeot 306 once. Along a list of too many faults to list (it is a french car of course!) the front brake disc was cracked almost all of the way through. Fixed many faults and it still failed the MOT. Now languishing in a scapyard as that was all it was worth.
burudis
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by burudis on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 9:41 pm

before doubting a porous interior, I suggest looking at the date of manufacture tire.
By experience idem

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 19 Dec 2018, 3:25 pm