You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

What I did with my CB500 yesterday

skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

What I did with my CB500 yesterday

Post by skyerae on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 7:57 am

I was on my trusty steed (the CB500) on my way to work. I came up behind a low loader carrying a maximus sized digger at about 50 mph. I waited until a straight clear section of road came up. I started to overtake and as I started to pull in everything went wrong. Something smacked me in my nose at about 65 mph. My visor was mostly shut, just cracked open to keep it clear as it was raining. I think my visor broke loose on one side and smacked me bloody hard on the nose - I have a large crusted scab on the bridge of my nose which wasn't there when I left home. I was kind of punch drunk as I was not expecting this and woozy. I shook my head to clear it and realised I was riding up onto the grass verge and I struck the high grass bank just alongside this. The bike went down and I think I somersaulted over the bike and landed on my back on my right side.

I was winded and crawled to the side of the road. The low loader stopped and a white van behind him, and they picked up the bike and put it on the side stand. I managed to phone my wife and she headed off to collect me. The white van man phoned the police as there was "oil" (from my bike) all over the road - it was petrol. I refused the offer of an ambulance and the police arrived and took my detail and a description of what had happened. They spoke to a local farmer who agreed to store the bike in his shed and the police tried to push it there (in gear). I got it into neutral and off they went. The wife arrived and said I was going straight to hospital as I couldn't move my right hand and shoulder area. Getting into the car was fun as my wife lifted and bent my legs I was just about screaming. Got to hospital (about half an hour away) and then as my wife tried to get me out the car I was screaming.

Was in A+E until about 4pm, only had three fractured ribs (top right hand side) and muscle and possible ligament damage. They were excellent there - I was X-rayed and scanned and put in a head brace and back board and then a trauma mattress as they were worried about spinal damage. Had a rather broken night sleep, try and sleep on your back all night without moving much. I am wearing a soft arm sling and getting out of bed requires my wife's assistance.

The bike seems to leaking petrol and has lovely scratch marks (possibly dented as well) all down the left hand side of the tank. The left hand footpeg is snapped off, the left rear indicator is smashed off, the radiator is bent like a banana, the Givi monorack in bent. the top box snapped off, the bottom is still on the monorack but most of the rest sheared off. The handle bar is bent up at right angles and the clutch lever is as straight as a dogs back leg. So I think it will be a write off. Just as well I hadn't ordered a new BT45 rear tyre then.... 

My Hein Gericke jacket has holes in the back and the florescent overcoat is shredded. My Hein Gericke trousers have had the bottom hem ripped out and the helmet has had racing stripes added by the tarmac as well as the visor ripped off. So my biking gear consists of gloves, a scarf and a balaclava (and my leaky boots) Just as well I haven't ordered the pinlock visor and insert for the helmet. I will never order this make of helmet again (it is a huge international firm) and will most likely go for full face as this was a flip front.

So the sad saga ends and I assume there goes the CB, I still have the VFR but needs hew headstock bearings and new brake discs on the front - which are horrendously expensive. It also need the radiator hoses replaced as one of the unions are leaking. They are 18 years old in any case so probably past their best.
haybunch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Re: What I did with my CB500 yesterday

Post by haybunch on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 9:15 am

that sounds gnarly. the most important thing is youre still alive!!
what brand helmet was it?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 11:37 am

I'd imagine you got hit by a grouse and that would have taken out your visor and set you off track.

You can speculate endlessly about what happened but either way you're here to tell the tail of the speedy 206 ambula...Peugeot. and that's what matters.

Insurance will easily write it off look at this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401626048419

Wishing you a speedy recovery, if you're bored at any point I've got whatsapp and can keep you amused.. read that as filling your phone full of shit like what @wornsprockets does to me =D
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 9:38 pm

That's a bad thing to have happen, but at least your still here although wounded.

I had a small bird of prey crash into my helmet when on a ride out to wales, but I was lucky because all it did was put a set of scratch marks from its talons across the helmet and visor (brand new helmet as well), and I was travelling quite a bit over the NSL so the bike would have been wrecked if I had come off
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 07 Nov 2018, 7:41 pm

Sounds horrible.  Best of luck getting yourself back to full fitness.

As you say, from an insurance point of view, the bike will be (at least) a financial write off.  
Depending on what you find when you have the opportunity to look it might be worth replacing the bent bits and putting it back on the road, assuming you have need for a now-slightly-less-than-perfect CB500.

If you don't want to/can't put it back on the road then it will be good for spares (assuming you want to buy another CB5) :)
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Wed 07 Nov 2018, 8:08 pm

The way the radiator was bent makes me realise that I must have hit the bank at about 55 mph. Most likely I will have bent forks (and they were really clean and lately overhauled by myself) and possibly a bent frame and might even have bent the steering stem. Getting up this morning was a true test of torture and the whole day has been a nightmare -every movement has been painful. I cannot afford to get another bike is the bottom line, I will have to scrimp and scrape to get money to fix the VFR. How I am going to afford clothing to replace everything is wrecked is beyond me. I am quite downhearted about everything at the moment to be true. Sitting at home (taken a week off due to not really being able to drive, move, or cope well at all by myself at the moment) doesn't help matters at the moment.

The helmet was a HJC IS Max BT, I will buy a good name full face helmet but never another HJC. Had a Caberg which I liked and an AGV which whistled so loudly it hurt my ears so I gave it away.
haybunch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by haybunch on Wed 07 Nov 2018, 8:40 pm

@skyerae wrote:
The helmet was a HJC IS Max BT, I will buy a good name full face helmet but never another HJC. Had a Caberg which I liked and an AGV which whistled so loudly it hurt my ears so I gave it away.

dont discount hjc just yet, they have a couple of highly rated helmets

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=HJC&model=All&type=1

as far as i know the general consensus is flip front helmets will have a lower rating compared to full face ones because of the way theyre built with the moving parts, except caberg's i just checked and the duke has 5 stars which is pretty impressive

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 07 Nov 2018, 8:52 pm

I have the same helmet. The visor fixings can work loose. Maybe yours became unattached.

Glad to hear you're OK, I know how much fractured ribs hurt. Right now, it probably feels like they'll never get better, but they will. Takes about 4 weeks until it starts to feel better.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Thu 08 Nov 2018, 7:43 am

4 weeks, oh thanks a lot, my wife just about killed me trying to get me out of bed this morning  Sad I pretty much have decided to take next week off work too - I cannot even fasten a seatbelt in a car and no chance I would be able to drive.

Yes, maybe I sound bitter about my HJC helmet, but it just trashed my daily (cheap and trusty) transport and I cannot lift my only moveable arm above my head or more than 10 cms away from my body without wanting to scream with pain. This is with me having a very, very high pain threshold.  Oh well, I will just wait until I start to feel better.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 08 Nov 2018, 7:56 pm

@skyerae wrote: I pretty much have decided to take next week off work too

Probably a good idea. If you are having that much 'fun' getting out of bed then you won't be good for much at work. I've found it's really hard to concentrate on doing anything useful if you are constantly in pain.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Thu 08 Nov 2018, 8:46 pm

You are oh so right, I am least paid 2 weeks wages when off sick or ill (and I'm sure this will fall in that category) so will be paid for this week and next. By the following week I hope I will feel more human and be be able to use a car.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Thu 08 Nov 2018, 9:00 pm

Just below the big scab on my nose, there is beautiful big blossoming bruise across the ridge of my nose. Something clobbered the hell out of my nose....... I looked at the visor and there is a raised portion with like a lip around three quarters of it on each top corner. This clips into a spring loaded mechanism to keep the visor in place. The left hand mechanism is still there and all of the lip is still intact so the visor clips in. On the right hand side the mechanism is missing and most of the lip on the visor is missing. The visor was off the helmet when we collected all the bits, and the left hand side of the helmet has been gouged by the tarmac when doing my acrobatic stunts which could explain why the mechanism is missing and why most of the lip has been sheared off. I'm now pretty much convinced the visor broke loose on one side and smashed my face a few times (I was doing about 60-65 mph as I was passing the low loader)
tt fan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by tt fan on Fri 09 Nov 2018, 12:09 am

Ribs are painful!
Take it easy and get well soon!
rick1
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by rick1 on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 3:08 pm

Sorry to hear about your accident, wish you a speedy recovery and back riding soon. Rick
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 9:36 pm

Kevin are you still in New Byth?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 1:25 am

I've come off twice and cracked a rib each time. OMG it hurts when you laugh/cough/sneeze/anythinginvolvinggirls
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 6:54 am

Oh yes Beresford, you are so right.I sneezed yesterday and thought I had done myself some internal damage. Even a hiccup hurts and so does laughing. I still want to scream every morning when my wife helps me sit up in bed, but on the plus side the pain lasts a shorter time. I phoned work on Friday and took this coming week off - still not able to drive or anything much else.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 6:59 am

Yes Jameshambleton, I am still in the hamlet of New Byth. We are trying to sell the house to move towards Fraserburgh but the housing market is pretty much flat-line out here. So two viewings and not any other interest, not from the viewers or anyone else.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 12:19 pm

@skyerae wrote:Yes Jameshambleton, I am still in the hamlet of New Byth. We are trying to sell the house to move towards Fraserburgh but the housing market is pretty much flat-line out here. So two viewings and not any other interest, not from the viewers or anyone else.

Once I've collected my stuff in Northern Ireland, you can borrow my Weise textiles indefinitely until you're in a situation to get your own , both waterproof, just leaks slightly at the zip.

Since you work in Aberdeen? You'll be pleased to know the new AWPR bypass in Dyce over the River Don has been further delayed after the bridge cracked yet again. The main contractors lose that contract on the 01.01.2019, then god knows what's happening with it.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 12 Nov 2018, 1:15 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:You'll be pleased to know the new AWPR bypass in Dyce over the River Don has been further delayed after the bridge cracked yet again. The main contractors lose that contract on the 01.01.2019, then god knows what's happening with it.
Can't you fix it James ? Being a Whiz with concrete and all ? Very Happy
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Mon 12 Nov 2018, 1:49 pm

See, it will all be sorted soon with James on the case  Laughing
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 12 Nov 2018, 5:38 pm

@skyerae wrote:See, it will all be sorted soon with James on the case  Laughing
Ya wee checky bugga, but yes. 900mm deep,1860mm wide, 80 newton concrete. This was 33 hours work at this stage knocked it out pretty quickly.

skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 7:35 am

Got a settlement figure from the insurance, it is what I paid for it 5 and a half years ago (and more than 28000 miles later) Then you subtract the excess and not a huge sum left over - not enough for another bike anyway (but have the VFR800 languishing in the shed anyway) Now do I buy a new helmet and non-leaking boots and a have a little left over OR do I buy new new brake discs for the VFR (MOT failure item), new head stock bearings (MOT major failure item) and new silicone radiator hoses (MOT advisory item, one of the unions is leaking)? Can't afford both clothing and sorting out bike now. 

My helmet hit the road in the accident and is fit for the bin only and my boots have started to leak really badly in the wet. Judging by the colour of the inside of my left foot they were also somehow involved in the accident - wondering if they were caught in the bike as I did my somersault - as my small toe on the same foot is fractured. No X-rays but it turned a lovely black colour and was sore as hell, not as bad as when I broke it a few years back.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 8:14 am

I am now able to get out of bed myself and am going back to work on Monday. I will just supervise the lads and not show them how it is done just yet, until I am fully able. Back still sore at the moment as sleeping on my back (for the ribs) does my knackered old spine no favours. Shoulder a lovely yellow colour and still really swollen but moves to a degree, just no higher than shoulder height. So pretty much all OK, just some more time to heal. Got off lightly considering the speed at which it happened, thankfully my protective gear did it's job and as my wife says that is about my 7th life used up..... Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 6:51 pm

@skyerae wrote:Got a settlement figure from the insurance, it is what I paid for it 5 and a half years ago (and more than 28000 miles later) Then you subtract the excess and not a huge sum left over - not enough for another bike anyway (but have the VFR800 languishing in the shed anyway) Now do I buy a new helmet and non-leaking boots and a have a little left over OR do I buy new new brake discs for the VFR (MOT failure item), new head stock bearings (MOT major failure item) and new silicone radiator hoses (MOT advisory item, one of the unions is leaking)? Can't afford both clothing and sorting out bike now. 

My helmet hit the road in the accident and is fit for the bin only and my boots have started to leak really badly in the wet. Judging by the colour of the inside of my left foot they were also somehow involved in the accident - wondering if they were caught in the bike as I did my somersault - as my small toe on the same foot is fractured. No X-rays but it turned a lovely black colour and was sore as hell, not as bad as when I broke it a few years back.

I would have thought that getting your VFR going (expensive as that might be) will be cheaper than buying a whole new bike, so I would do that.

Once you've got the bike going, get a helmet (you'll have to put up with the leaky boots for now) - some are not that expensive - don't know how far you are from a Halfords but they seem to sell one for £35 (look here). It probably won't be amazing but it is legal and a lot better than nothing. You can keep it as spare if you get a better one in the future. Places like Sportsbikeshop also have cheaper helmets, but I suspect their 'free return' policy might not cover your postcode, so that might not be so good.

At this point if you can get an MOT then you could be back on the road - admittedly with your leaky boots, a cheap helmet and some second-hand kit (if you took up James' offer), but it would be a start.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 20 Nov 2018, 7:28 pm