Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

NEC Empty NEC

Post by muttley1 on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 3:25 pm

Its NEC show time soon, I go most years, the bike park makes it relatively hassle free. Not sure this year though, got all the kit I need and there aren't many bargains.
I'll probably end up going, ever hopeful that some Taiwanese manufacturer has bought up the cb500 tooling and is turning out new versions of the real thing.

I don't follow the bike press so are there any major improvements or bikes worth looking out for?

cheers

muttley1
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

NEC Empty Re: NEC

Post by Beresford on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 3:39 pm

Unless you are going for one of these modern hypersleds that need all kinds of electronics to make them safely controllable by normal mortals. the only really useful developments in recent times, are good anti-lock braking systems and vastly superior tyres. The things I'd be looking for are not there ie. lower weight and improved fuel consumption.
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 3:47 pm

Seconded !
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 20 Nov 2018, 2:32 pm

Well I've been, and the show was much improved on last years. I rode there, plenty of bikes using the bike park, its free too. However, still had to go up stairs, long ol' walk then downstairs again to get in. Last year was walk across road, go in, so a step backwards there.

Show was busy, all the manufacturers were there, certainly a theme across them of returning to your youth (if you are aged 60+). Lots of unfaired offerings with huge accessory lists, hilarious prices and branded clothing to match.

Less sportsbikes and more smaller and midrange midpower weekend rides. There must be a whole heap of folks riding who find the trip to Tescos an epic adventure, so need bikes to match.

The latest cb500 was there, unrecognisable to our ones except riding position. Closest I could see was a Herald 650 air cooled twin.

The biggest change was less "events" (i.e. indoor trail bikes and accompanying loud commentary) and more stands selling kit. I wasn't after anything but still worth looking about.

Food prices remain v high.

If you're going, the m6 getting in was fine, the signs out are confusing.

muttley1
stormbringer
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 3:18 pm

@muttley1 wrote:Less sportsbikes and more smaller and midrange midpower weekend rides. There must be a whole heap of folks riding who find the trip to Tescos an epic adventure, so need bikes to match.

muttley1
Nice report. Going to such events is - for me - part curiosity, part social. YMMV

"Midrange midpower" sounds quite like the CB500 we all love. And midrange bikes can certainly be used for more than visiting Tesco. I see the same development here in Denmark - lately, we've also seen rising numbers of motorcycles sold. Good; that means the biker-minority is getting bigger!
Crash- Elmit
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 10:58 pm

there was a report on the radio on Tuesday saying bikers are involved in 63% of accidents, and are the most injured.
the report  made it sound like we are the ones at fault, though, which annoyed me
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 23 Nov 2018, 9:57 pm

@Crash- Elmit wrote:there was a report on the radio on Tuesday saying bikers are involved in 63% of accidents, and are the most injured.
the report  made it sound like we are the ones at fault, though, which annoyed me
This sounds absolute crap. If you know the station, I'd be on to them demanding their source of statistics. If you get a response, the next thing to do is notify MAG as they are professional about deconstucting the sensationalist 'crap' so beloved of the mainstream sensationalist media.
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 27 Nov 2018, 1:51 pm

I think the MAG deal with this sort of crap a lot. Iirc the police record moped and 125 accidents on the same form as "bigger" bikes so using this data without thought would skew the stats.

In this bit I was alluding to adventure bike riders, the industry has created a whole new market for wannabe explorers:
There must be a whole heap of folks riding who find the trip to Tescos an epic adventure, so need bikes to match. 
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 27 Nov 2018, 2:11 pm

@muttley1 wrote:I think the MAG deal with this sort of crap a lot. Iirc the police record moped and 125 accidents on the same form as "bigger" bikes so using this data without thought would skew the stats.

In this bit I was alluding to adventure bike riders, the industry has created a whole new market for wannabe explorers:
There must be a whole heap of folks riding who find the trip to Tescos an epic adventure, so need bikes to match. 

That moment when you realise @Beresford has a tiger 955i adventure bike for his gravel driveway but uses his cb500 more Laughing
GollyGosh
GollyGosh
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by GollyGosh on Tue 27 Nov 2018, 5:11 pm

@muttley1 wrote:I think the MAG deal with this sort of crap a lot. Iirc the police record moped and 125 accidents on the same form as "bigger" bikes so using this data without thought would skew the stats.

I've been digging in Office of National Statistics (ONS) and yes the reporting does skew the figures.

They categorise by under 50cc, 51-499cc then 500 and over.  In 2017 this gave figures of 1,444, 8,824 and 5,091 respectively for bikes/riders being a contributory factor.  Approximately a third of bikes/riders were not a factor causing the accident.

A different report in 2017 categorised on vehicles and injury includes 51-125cc

SeverityFatalSeriousSlightTotal
Motorcycles 50cc and under34331,4701,906
Motorcycles 51cc - 125cc582,3076,0998,464
Motorcycles 126cc - 500cc447251,6072,376
Motorcycles over 500cc2712,3623,4296,062

Over half of the total reported are on bikes up to 125cc !!

Riding a CB500 is almost as safe as a moped Very Happy tho' YMMV

Of all 238,926 injuries recorded Motorbikes represent 8.04%

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Sep 2019, 6:35 pm