You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

I wish guys like badseeds and steib would post about their new 500s

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

I wish guys like badseeds and steib would post about their new 500s

Post by trevor machine on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 6:28 pm

I wonder what those riders who've owned both the '90s 500 and the new one think of them? I never really felt like we got to the bottom of that. I know there's at least two peeps here who've gone from one to t'other - but I think I missed their comments on the differences between old and new. Badseeds is one we know of but there was someone before that called Steib irrc. I actually "knew" him from the VanVan forum, and last time we "spoke" he said he'd got a new hobby - drones. So bikes were taking a back seat - geddit. Badseeds got a new job last time I spoke to him and was enjoying doing something different - and better. I think he treated himself to a new bike - and that new bike was the latest 500. 

In other news, I saw my first orange CB500 tonight. I was waiting at some lights in town, on my Kawasaki, when I heard a bike approaching. It was pretty quiet though - as is mine now the oem can's back on. Anyway, I just caught sight of an orange 500 turning left and then it was gone. Have to say though it looked like the best colour - that and the cb500 Cup special are my favourites. Suffice to say, the 500 looked really at home in the traffic of Beverley, and I wished I was on mine. The ninja's okay at that sort of crap, but it's not its forte. The fan's always on for one thing.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Re: I wish guys like badseeds and steib would post about their new 500s

Post by liverpool_f_ on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 9:27 pm

I don't know if I am qualified to answer but I own a 'proper' cb500 and I had a 24hr loan of a new one.

Of the new one, the engine is super smooth with a fairly grunty mid range. There is no top end... So where ours takes off at 7k, the new one complains a bit. It wants to spend all it's time in that smooth mid range which is great for certain types of riding like city stuff. I did miss the 10k readline though.

Brakes on the new bike are amazing! Thats the one thing that impressed me most. It's also a lot smaller. I often have someone on the back of my old cb500 with a big top box or duffel bag. The new one doesn't really seem like it is intended for that. Most people don't by a 500cc twin for pillions and luggage so that's not a complaint, just an observation.

Suspension is really quite similar I think. They haven't gone in a different direction to try to make it a sport bike or overly soft as a cruiser. Still crashes into pot holes a bit like the older one does but it's built to a price point and is comfortable sporty enough for that purpose. The riding position is a lot more upright with the pegs further forward like seems to be the trend for newer bikes.

Build quality seemed very good. All in all, it seems like a super little bike. I would begrudge losing the 10k redline and 10hp but I do thrash my bike a bit more than most people in that market segment would.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 10:14 pm

Orange ones are the fastest!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 20 Nov 2018, 7:46 pm