Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Tank bolt size for throttle cable replacement

louis_sutton
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Tank bolt size for throttle cable replacement Empty Tank bolt size for throttle cable replacement

Post by louis_sutton on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 9:00 pm

Hi all,

Could I ask for any clue what size the tank bolt/nut and any size spanners to remove and replace a throttle cable? Just had it snap (the pull cable) and had to abandon bike at work. I'll be carrying tools in tomorrow as couldn't get the oem cheese tools to fit.

Cheers
Louis
hh_12345
hh_12345
Running out of unique names

Tank bolt size for throttle cable replacement Empty Re: Tank bolt size for throttle cable replacement

Post by hh_12345 on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 10:16 pm

I think you'll need 5mm  allen key for side panels, 10 mm spanners for the tank bolt and nut.

A screwdriver and pliers - maybe a piece of wire / bicycle spoke to make a hook to help  install the cable end can be useful.

And what is needed for the switchgear end.
louis_sutton
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Tank bolt size for throttle cable replacement Empty Re: Tank bolt size for throttle cable replacement

Post by louis_sutton on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 11:35 pm

Marvellous, thank you!
louis_sutton
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Wed 24 Oct 2018, 10:56 am

That helped immensely, put a pack of tools together and got it all done after work. Next job, build a proper tool set to go in the bike!
hh_12345
hh_12345

Post by hh_12345 on Wed 24 Oct 2018, 12:02 pm

Great, I remember that installing the throttle cable was not the most pleasant job.
louis_sutton
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Wed 24 Oct 2018, 2:53 pm

I found it ok, but I'm not sure if two hours was a bit long for the job (it's a 500s). Haynes helped, and the carb cam nipple caused some brief swearing, but generally ok. It has made me realise how dreadful the oem kit is though, and how small I can pack tools if I need them. So I'll be relaxing that with better parts
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 Oct 2018, 11:43 pm

I've had a throttle cable snap.  It wasn't fun.  I did a really, really horrible bodge and managed to get it home but it involved the throttle setting changing as I moved the handlebars - not a great riding experience (nor very safe!).

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

I have considered buying a control-cable repair kit for use on longer trips - they come with new cable inners and screw-on ends to put on the far end of the cable.  Probably not a long-term fix but enough to keep you moving.
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 10:11 am

It's  a mind thing, I always carried a throttle cable repair kit.
And never needed it.
Which considering the mileage was very good. Had I not had it at hand then sod's law would have meant a breakage on a cold wet night miles from anywhere for sure.
louis_sutton
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 12:48 pm

Three years I carried that throttle cable. When I needed it, couldn't get the tank off with the oem kit
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 8:12 pm

@louis_sutton wrote:Three years I carried that throttle cable. When I needed it, couldn't get the tank off with the oem kit

Oh that's baaaaaad.

I think the Honda tools only have one 10mm spanner - you need two to get the tank bolt undone - it is often a nylon lock nut and I suspect it would be hard to undo with with the tool kit's pliers on one end...
louis_sutton
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Sat 27 Oct 2018, 9:25 pm

Nearly what I said. Nearly. 

I've ordered an Oxford pro toolkit to rebuild around what I might actually use at the side of a road on a dark night. Time for a new torch as well, the old maglite in my kit looks archaic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 22 Jul 2019, 9:37 pm