You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

missing my bike

Share
avatar
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Posts : 269
Location : Rothwell, Nr Kettering

missing my bike

Post by Crash- Elmit on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 12:25 am

As most of you have probably read on here, my 500 is currently off road and in bits due to a worrying rattling noise that developed during my daily commute to Daventry.
 Because I needed transport I bought a cbf600 sa8, and while its not a bad bike it pales in comparison to the 500 in handling, and the rear tyre does not like the wet weather - it has already tried to unseat me three times on roundabouts, even at a relatively slow speed.  The rear is a different size to OE spec - it is a Bridgestone battlax  bt23 180/55/17 but should be 160/60/17, so maybe that's the reason, so have now bought a set of Michelin Roadpilot4's and will get them fitted hopefully next weekend.

As for the 500, I have so far rust-treated and painted the frame, drilled and tapped two new holes for the exhaust studs after breaking the end off of a drill bit in one of the original holes, and then filed slots in the header pipe clamps to fit the studs because they are 8mm closer together. I ordered a Honda tool valve compressor and tappet hole protector from DS, ready to do the valves but have now learnt the compressor may be a discontinued item so have now bought a generic one from fleabay.

while waiting for this to arrive I have cleaned and repainted the cylinder head and valve cover, replaced all coolant hoses with silicon ones, removed most of the dirt and loose paint off the main crankcase ready to repaint that, stripped the starter motor and cleaned it plus fitted new brushes- there was only 1/5mm left on old ones before being worn out so was worth doing. I have now cleaned all the rot and rust from the outside, primed it all with acid etch primer, and then repainted the ends with high temp aluminium paint and the middle with hammerite smooth black followed by a good coating of lacquer.

getting the starter motor out was a task in itself, Haynes says undo the two bolts and slide it out, yeah right,I had to use a big hammer and a block of wood to knock mine out as it was corroded in place

For those that are interested, I decided to measure the bores just to see if there was any serious wear anywhere but was surprised to find they are still near the bottom limit! to measure the bore I had to improvise. My Vernier would not measure far enough down the bore so I got two bolts and screwed them into a threaded tube which I then placed in the bore and unscrewed them until they were a sliding fit and  measured this to get a reading.
avatar
mikethebike
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Posts : 27
Location : Kent

Re: missing my bike

Post by mikethebike on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 7:16 pm

@Crash- Elmit wrote:As most of you have probably read on here, my 500 is currently off road and in bits due to a worrying rattling noise that developed during my daily commute to Daventry.
 Because I needed transport I bought a cbf600 sa8, and while its not a bad bike it pales in comparison to the 500 in handling, and the rear tyre does not like the wet weather - it has already tried to unseat me three times on roundabouts, even at a relatively slow speed.  The rear is a different size to OE spec - it is a Bridgestone battlax  bt23 180/55/17 but should be 160/60/17, so maybe that's the reason, so have now bought a set of Michelin Roadpilot4's and will get them fitted hopefully next weekend.

As for the 500, I have so far rust-treated and painted the frame, drilled and tapped two new holes for the exhaust studs after breaking the end off of a drill bit in one of the original holes, and then filed slots in the header pipe clamps to fit the studs because they are 8mm closer together. I ordered a Honda tool valve compressor and tappet hole protector from DS, ready to do the valves but have now learnt the compressor may be a discontinued item so have now bought a generic one from fleabay.

while waiting for this to arrive I have cleaned and repainted the cylinder head and valve cover, replaced all coolant hoses with silicon ones, removed most of the dirt and loose paint off the main crankcase ready to repaint that, stripped the starter motor and cleaned it plus fitted new brushes- there was only 1/5mm left on old ones before being worn out so was worth doing. I have now cleaned all the rot and rust from the outside, primed it all with acid etch primer, and then repainted the ends with high temp aluminium paint and the middle with hammerite smooth black followed by a good coating of lacquer.

getting the starter motor out was a task in itself, Haynes says undo the two bolts and slide it out, yeah right,I had to use a big hammer and a block of wood to knock mine out as it was corroded in place

For those that are interested, I decided to measure the bores just to see if there was any serious wear anywhere but was surprised to find they are still near the bottom limit! to measure the bore I had to improvise. My Vernier would not measure far enough down the bore so I got two bolts and screwed them into a threaded tube which I then placed in the bore and unscrewed them until they were a sliding fit and  measured this to get a reading.

Totally agree with your comments re: the difference between CB and CBF handling.  I find the CBF feels much heavier and that weight is carried through the steering - making it 'drop' onto corners, where as the  CB is much more chuckable and neutral.  I tend to use my CBF as a longer distance bike and find it to be a bit more comfy on the motorway though - think the more upright position helps.  Hope the Pilot's improve the ride.  Good to hear you are cracking on a pace with the restoration. Smile

    Current date/time is Tue 20 Nov 2018, 8:21 pm