Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Out with the old...

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Out with the old...

Post by sullivj on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 10:07 pm

Last week, I sold my spare CB500.

Tomorrow, I collect the replacement. It's a HONDA NSS300 scooter.

I have a 230 ride home, so it will be interesting to see what it's like. Could it be the modern equivalent to our humble CB? Only time will tell.
hh_12345
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Re: Out with the old...

Post by hh_12345 on Sat 13 Oct 2018, 8:13 am

It would be interesting to hear what your impressions of the nss are. 

I really like the 2007 nss 250 - and when I get a chance I'll get one to test and see if I will enjoy riding a bike with an automatic transmission. Might be so considering the way I drive my car (not auto, but more relaxing and smooth  than the cb). Also riding two - up on the scooter would me more comfortable.

Despite this I love the cb - not having the scooter's car like dashboard in front, seeing every detail on the road, feeling all sorts of vibrations, that sound of changing gears, a position of not sitting in/on a chair, but actually riding and so on.

I guess a scooter will match or be better than he cb, but sometimes I feel that riding a scooter is like being in the matrix, and riding the cb - out of it Very Happy
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 13 Oct 2018, 11:14 am

@hh_12345 wrote: sometimes I feel that riding a scooter is like being in the matrix, and riding the cb - out of it Very Happy
Nicely put.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 6:06 am

I had never ridden a scooter until a few months ago when my pro bike mechanic mate was working on one, and said have a go on this. It was a 50cc one irrc. 

I went round the industrial estate - but I didn't know where to put my feet!! I was so used to putting them at the sides that my feet were "looking" for somewhere to rest. Luckily the way the panels were formed did allow for this, put my feet still didn't feel right. 

My mate and a customer were pissing themselves as I bimbled passed and I had no idea what I was doing wrong. When I stopped I said what's so bloody funny?!? They said you're not girl enough. They pointed at the massive space where my feet SHOULD have been - and of course, I felt pretty dense-o-rama. I set off again, with my feet in the right place. But it felt odd and weird and I didn't like it one bit.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 9:00 am

Well, that was a baptism of fire! Jumped straight in, and rode it 215 miles home.

It's VERY comfortable, and the big seat has a built in lumbar support, that makes it even more so.

Twist and go means it accelerates quickly, and you're up to 60 mph pretty quick. I didn't take it over 80mph, but it felt like there was more to give.

The combined braking system makes stopping very impressive. It has ABS too, but I didn't need to test that.

Down in Devon, the wind was REALLY strong, and there were a couple of times where I felt it being blown around. Not a confidence inspiring feeling.

The CB is definately more involving, and you get the confidence to lean it more than the NSS, but I grew quite attached to the NSS as the journey progressed.

Storage is HUGE. There's two boxes on the dash (one lockable and with a 12v supply). The larger one of the two is as big as the under seat storage on the CB.

Lift the seat on the NSS, and you find the Jewell in the crown. It has storage big enough to hold two FULL FACE helmets.

Overall, it's great for short journeys, and zipping around town. It returned a whopping 79 mpg on the journey home.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 8:34 pm

Oh no - sully has turned Zombie...
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 10:04 pm

@stormbringer wrote:Oh no - sully has turned Zombie...

Not sure about a zombie, but I reckon he's on the path to pipe and slippers Laughing
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 6:12 am

He will be buying a Volvo next, I'm well down that road  Sad

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 6:42 am

I can still 'hear' you all...!

Fear not, I still have the shiniest CB500 in the Country!
hh_12345
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by hh_12345 on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 1:28 pm

A table of scary abbreviations from a scooter service manual. 

The cb manual either does not use abbreviations or their number has been bellow the required minimum for table representation.
mikethebike
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by mikethebike on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 8:50 pm

@trevor machine wrote:I had never ridden a scooter until a few months ago when my pro bike mechanic mate was working on one, and said have a go on this. It was a 50cc one irrc. 

I went round the industrial estate - but I didn't know where to put my feet!! I was so used to putting them at the sides that my feet were "looking" for somewhere to rest. Luckily the way the panels were formed did allow for this, put my feet still didn't feel right. 

My mate and a customer were pissing themselves as I bimbled passed and I had no idea what I was doing wrong. When I stopped I said what's so bloody funny?!? They said you're not girl enough. They pointed at the massive space where my feet SHOULD have been - and of course, I felt pretty dense-o-rama. I set off again, with my feet in the right place. But it felt odd and weird and I didn't like it one bit.

Tell you what is weird - DCT.  The auto box thing that Honda have seen fit to put on some of the newer models.  I've ridden two bikes with it now.  One of those new 700/750's whose official designation I can't remember and one on one of the new Africa Twins.  Both were given to me as loan bikes when my CB was in for work over the past year.  Not being able to change up or down and having no clutch lever on a regular bike handlebar is such a weird feeling (to me at least).  I found myself going for the non existent clutch all the time at first and not trusting that the bike wouldn't stall when I pulled up.  Plus, the auto box changed up and down at times that I wouldn't naturally,  especially in traffic.  I told the dealer the first time I had one to borrow that it was the worst experience I'd ever had on two wheels in over thirty years of riding.  In reply he said that they sell almost as many bikes with DCT on as they do standard manual ones.  Any one else tried a bike with this on?
Oafski
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Oafski on Fri 19 Oct 2018, 11:41 am

Not ridden a DCT personally but I know a couple of people that own NC750s and they are both delighted with them. The transmission has 3 modes Standard, Sport which holds on to the gears for longer and Up/Down buttons on the lefthand switch cluster which allow the rider to ride manually like the paddle shift in some cars, so obviously the ability to choose varying riding styles without having to constantly operate the clutch in heavy traffic. One thing which does always make me smile is when they select drive from neutral it engages with the traditional Honda Clunk.
Regarding the Sh300 scooter, a couple of years ago I was manning a National Rally Checkpoint and two riders arrived together, one on a BMW 1200GS and the other on an SH300 Scooter. we asked them if they were together and the BMW rider laughed and said " not really but I just cant shake the bugger off"
wrighty
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by wrighty on Fri 19 Oct 2018, 4:03 pm

@Oafski wrote:Not ridden a DCT personally but I know a couple of people that own NC750s and they are both delighted with them. The transmission has 3 modes Standard, Sport which holds on to the gears for longer and Up/Down buttons on the lefthand switch cluster which allow the rider to ride manually like the paddle shift in some cars, so obviously the ability to choose varying riding styles without having to constantly operate the clutch in heavy traffic. One thing which does always make me smile is when they select drive from neutral it engages with the traditional Honda Clunk.
Regarding the Sh300 scooter, a couple of years ago I was manning a National Rally Checkpoint and two riders arrived together, one on a BMW 1200GS and the other on an SH300 Scooter. we asked them if they were together and the BMW rider laughed and said " not really but I just cant shake the bugger off"
Oafski I started doing the national rally last year and will certainly be doing it again next year. If you are on a checkpoint you should let us know and I will plan you into my route. The cb project will be on the road and I would love to do the rally on it.
Oafski
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Oafski on Fri 19 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

Sadly our Club only did it for one year when it appeared that the Club which usually did our area weren't going to do it but we subsequently were no longer required.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 19 Dec 2018, 3:32 pm