Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

5 cranks to get it started this morning

haybunch
Squiddy
Squiddy

5 cranks to get it started this morning

Post by haybunch on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 6:45 am

is this normal? it's usually difficult to start when it's cold or if it has been raining.. only have this issue when i first start in the day . oik, air filter, plugs are all new. bike runs sweet though
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: 5 cranks to get it started this morning

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 12:10 pm

It can happen on occasion, especially if the bike hasn't been used for a couple of days. I wouldn't worry about it, my CB certainly takes a few cranks when it's cold.
haybunch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by haybunch on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 6:27 pm

@teamster1975 wrote:It can happen on occasion, especially if the bike hasn't been used for a couple of days. I wouldn't worry about it, my CB certainly takes a few cranks when it's cold.

ok thanks. what is the correct starting procedure? i put the choke on and open the throttle a bit and then crank it..
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:00 pm

I think you've got it spot on Smile
Every bike is different, some need choke, others will start every time without any. All depends on needle wear and adjustment, perished carb rubbers etc.
haybunch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by haybunch on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 8:33 pm

my 125 doesnt have trouble starting in the cold but i think it's cause the carb is adjusted to run rich.. or the idle screw is set to fast.. i wouldnt even dare touch my carbs, it was a pain in the ass adjusting 1 carburettor. i dont even want to imagine having to deal with 2! still, one of the reasons i didnt choose a 4 cyl bike
burudis
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by burudis on Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:52 am

if after hot starts always right, you can suspect dirt in the starter system
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 27 Sep 2018, 7:30 pm

It's probably a case of your battery aging a bit. I was able to start my bike after it sat for 2 months when my battery was new. Now, after one week sitting, it requires a bit of encouragement. Probably a sign that the battery is still fine but nearing the end of its life.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 Oct 2018, 10:46 pm

The petrol evaporates from the carb bowls a bit if you leave it for a while between rides - this doesn't help the situation and it can take a few turns of the engine for the vacuum to build up which allows fuel to start flowing again.

Also it might be worth trying using the choke but *NOT* opening the throttle (some times too much throttle doesn't help).
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Sat 03 Nov 2018, 12:42 pm

From page 40 of the owner's handbook: Starting Procedure

1. Pull the choke lever back all the way to Fully ON, if the engine is cold.
2.Press the starter button.

No throttle!Why? The choke opens a small airway in the carb which mixes fuel from the starter jet into the air to deliver a metered, rich mixture to start the motor at cranking speed. Open the throttle and you upset the mixture and make it more difficult for the motor to fire. Try pushing the starter button with your index finger not holding the twistgrip so there's no urge to open it!
If it won't start then there will be an ulterior reason so revert to whatever twist, bump, curse method works for you, have fun!
haybunch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by haybunch on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 7:31 pm

hmm i'll try not to use the throttle then. even then i can never start it the first time, always have to crank it about 2 more times with the choke. starter motor is fine i assume as i recently changed the brushes inside it. would a a bad ignition coil system affect starting? my spark plugs are newish, might it be worth replacing the plug caps or the coils themselves?
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 9:14 am

Yes, mine needs more cranking than my other bikes, the diaphragm tap needs the vacuum to open it to fill the float bowls so there is a delay but turning it with full choke no throttle has always worked for me.
Also if it's been standing a while it takes longer, float bowls emptier QED but winding the throttle open doesn't help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 19 Dec 2018, 3:33 pm