You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

5 cranks to get it started this morning

haybunch
Squiddy
Squiddy

5 cranks to get it started this morning

Post by haybunch on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 6:45 am

is this normal? it's usually difficult to start when it's cold or if it has been raining.. only have this issue when i first start in the day . oik, air filter, plugs are all new. bike runs sweet though
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: 5 cranks to get it started this morning

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 12:10 pm

It can happen on occasion, especially if the bike hasn't been used for a couple of days. I wouldn't worry about it, my CB certainly takes a few cranks when it's cold.
haybunch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by haybunch on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 6:27 pm

@teamster1975 wrote:It can happen on occasion, especially if the bike hasn't been used for a couple of days. I wouldn't worry about it, my CB certainly takes a few cranks when it's cold.

ok thanks. what is the correct starting procedure? i put the choke on and open the throttle a bit and then crank it..
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:00 pm

I think you've got it spot on Smile
Every bike is different, some need choke, others will start every time without any. All depends on needle wear and adjustment, perished carb rubbers etc.
haybunch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by haybunch on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 8:33 pm

my 125 doesnt have trouble starting in the cold but i think it's cause the carb is adjusted to run rich.. or the idle screw is set to fast.. i wouldnt even dare touch my carbs, it was a pain in the ass adjusting 1 carburettor. i dont even want to imagine having to deal with 2! still, one of the reasons i didnt choose a 4 cyl bike
burudis
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by burudis on Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:52 am

if after hot starts always right, you can suspect dirt in the starter system
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 27 Sep 2018, 7:30 pm

It's probably a case of your battery aging a bit. I was able to start my bike after it sat for 2 months when my battery was new. Now, after one week sitting, it requires a bit of encouragement. Probably a sign that the battery is still fine but nearing the end of its life.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 11:40 pm