You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Clutch Klonk!

stormbringer

Clutch Klonk!

Post by stormbringer on Thu 06 Sep 2018, 7:26 am

The old girl is racking up kilometers steadily. I'm about to go to odometer reading 00000.

Lately I've noticed that gearchanges have become - well, not stiff, but noisy. It bothers my OCD to listen to the racket; KLONK!

Oil is fresh, cable play is minimal but present and operation is smooth. No worries.

Yet; KLONK!

Engaged in 1st gear and with the lever all the way in, I notice a slight drag - bike wants to creep eeeeever so slightly. I guess that's what's causing the issue. Clutch not fully disengaged.

But why? Clutch is probably the original (meaning it's done ~62K miles by now) and has bite, meaning it should not be worn out. On lever release, tension is released only after moving ~halfway out, mening the mechanics should be fully disengaged.
Yet I have KLONK...

Should I just accept fate and replace the lot; basket, springs and everything included? Clutch rattle would be nice to get rid of while I'm at it...
wrighty
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Re: Clutch Klonk!

Post by wrighty on Thu 06 Sep 2018, 7:12 pm

I had similar with an old kawa kr1s, all seemed ok except clutch drag and difficulty engaging 1st gear. The plates had worn notches in the basket and wouldnt fully release as they stuck in the notches. New basket! Good luck with yours.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 6:53 am

@wrighty wrote:I had similar with an old kawa kr1s, all seemed ok except clutch drag and difficulty engaging 1st gear. The plates had worn notches in the basket and wouldnt fully release as they stuck in the notches. New basket! Good luck with yours.
That's recognizable all right!

Actually, I went to see my trusted dealer about the drag issue yesterday afternoon. We got talking as people do, and we ended up with a completely different solution. A complete engine - all new with 0 miles on the clock. He's got it sitting on a shelf for spareparts, so there are no covers. Not only will this give me a new basket - it'll give me a mint-condition lump to swap in once the current engine needs to go out for its big service. Which I'd like to have a go at (rather than handing it over to the shop), meaning it'll take a loooong time.

Total cost approx. 700£

I'm seriously considering this.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:58 am

Take it as a bargain, the price of a new clutch assembly from Honda would probably not be too far away from that price if you could get it at all.
A cheaper alternative may be to replace all of the plates as it could just be a warped plate causing the drag.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 12:17 pm

@ANDYC wrote:Take it as a bargain, the price of a new clutch assembly from Honda would probably not be too far away from that price if you could get it at all.
A cheaper alternative may be to replace all of the plates as it could just be a warped plate causing the drag.
I AM taking it as a bargain Smile
1: Because a complete clutch assembly would probably amount to something similar, and
2: Because I've already had a looksee for a new lump. From this forum I was referred to https://www.boonstraparts.com/ where an engine was available. That engine is now gone. And I've got an even better offer.

Some might be thinking I've lost my marbles considering 700£. But recall that I live in Denmark. Here, a well-used CB500 will cost you 25.000 DKK (that's 3000£). See this link for reference.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 1:23 pm

For £3000 I would have delivered a good engine to you in person!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 5:22 pm

That's a bargain. I would have grabbed it too.
ZekeVal
Running out of unique names

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 08 Sep 2018, 8:55 am

@stormbringer wrote:
Some might be thinking I've lost my marbles considering 700£. But recall that I live in Denmark. Here, a well-used CB500 will cost you 25.000 DKK (that's 3000£). See this link for reference.

Holy molly! Are you Vikings that rich ?? geek
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 10 Sep 2018, 10:37 am

@ZekeVal wrote:
@stormbringer wrote:
Holy molly! Are you Vikings that rich ?? geek
I believe you are referring to the norwegians, right?

Norway is so close to me, yet I hesitate going there because the price level is bonkers.
Example: A plain takeaway pizza from Mamma Pizza in Oslo will set you back 169 NOK - 15£.

And let's not talk norwegian beer. It's too depressing.
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Mon 10 Sep 2018, 5:02 pm

Yup, I know Norway is on a league of its own !
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:32 pm

Returning to the subject - this is how a new clutch looks like:

The engine it's attached to is also new. Zero miles. Mint.

Now I need to figure out what year/reg bike it is meant to go together with. Plate says PC26E-23049xx. Anyone who knows where to look up its production date?
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 1:21 am

Try here.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Model_year
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 7:52 pm

Looks sweeeeet !
Twinman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Awesome!

Post by Twinman on Thu 27 Sep 2018, 7:26 pm

1998 according to Haynes

Sent from Topic'it App
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 9:13 pm

@Twinman wrote:1998 according to Haynes

D'oh!!

I've got the bloody manual but didn't imagine it would list the number-vs-year matrix.

Thank you. I now know specifics - which makes me feel a lot better.

W reg - 1998 - it is.

Next tasks: Prep this engine for replacing my existing one. Run my existing engine down (might take a while). Swap.
And then - do a DIY engine overhaul. Looking forward to that. I've done single-cylinder full and 4-cylinder partial, but never multiple-cylinder full.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 17 Nov 2018, 11:39 pm