You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

rattle from engine

Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

rattle from engine

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 2:44 pm

Hi all.

Bike is running well as usual with no starting problems and still accelerates well even in third, but I have recently started  hearing a rattly type of noise when under acceleration and not sure of the cause.

I have never checked the tappet clearances, etc. as the bike is in daily use so cannot have it of the road long enough.

It does have a new cam chain tensioner fitted.

any suggestions appreciated
Jameshambleton

Re: rattle from engine

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 4:01 pm

@Crash- Elmit wrote:Hi all.

Bike is running well as usual with no starting problems and still accelerates well even in third, but I have recently started  hearing a rattly type of noise when under acceleration and not sure of the cause.

I have never checked the tappet clearances, etc. as the bike is in daily use so cannot have it of the road long enough.

It does have a new cam chain tensioner fitted.

any suggestions appreciated

They're shim under bucket not tappets, so you'll never hear when your valves need adjustment - shim type only get tighter, tappets usually get looser.

New cam chain tensioner will make no difference if your cam chain is worn out, as both of the tensioners will adjust to the same position

Have you recently had your front sprocket cover off, might be worth checking the sprocket as well as your chain to see if there are any rollers missing.

It could also be one of the exhaust gaskets rattling about
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 9:06 pm

Hi James.

not long changed the front sprocket due to wear and chain is fine as I check that before adjusting the tension. exhausts are ok, so it's not coming from that.

Could it be from the clutch basket?
I will try to get a sound recording of the noise via my phone and stick it on here
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 02 Sep 2018, 1:16 pm

If it only happens under acceleration then you can rule out the usual clutch basket rattle. The cct would be my guess. The chain could be worth checking but the tensioner gives up long before the chain in my experience. The cam chain that is.
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Thu 06 Sep 2018, 11:57 pm

@ANDYC wrote:If it only happens under acceleration then you can rule out the usual clutch basket rattle. The cct would be my guess. The chain could be worth checking but the tensioner gives up long before the chain in my experience. The cam chain that is.

Hi Andy.

I suppose the only way to check the chain is to remove the cam cover and see if the chain can be lifted off the sprocket. I took the tensioner out yesterday to check it and it appears to still have plenty of life left in it.
My other thought is whether the tensioner blade has worn out because if I'm looking at the exploded diagram properly the tensioner pushes a plastic strip onto the chain rather than the directly onto the chain
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:49 am

A couple of years ago, I had an annoying engine speed related rattle on my bike. After a lot of head scratching, I discovered it was due to a loose mirror glass in its' metal housing. It was not at all obvious where the noise was coming from either.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:52 am

You're right about the plastic blade, however I have never known of one to be worn out. Even one that has done over 250k.
The chain could be worth checking regardless just for peace of mind.
mikethebike
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by mikethebike on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 12:29 pm

Not sure if you have found the cause of your mystery rattle, but if it has turned out to be the cam chain I can recommend Tony Galea who does 'in frame' replacements - if you are unable to fix it/don't want the aggro of taking the engine out.  He's based near Southend.  He doesn't have a website, but he can be found via Google ( I think I might have left his details in my 'Five Years on A Tango Orange' diary entry too).  He can replace the chain while you wait - usually takes him about three - four hours.  He also does the valves as part of the service.  Changes about £50.00 an hour.  I'd highly recommend his work.  He did my chain 12,000 mile ago and I've had a purring engine ever since. Smile
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 12:52 pm

Thanks Mike.

I am currently waiting to see if I've won a cbf600-sa on fleabay, and if It's as good as the description I will be taking the 500 off the road and stripping the engine out for a good overhaul, including getting the frame repainted
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 5:27 pm

Got my new bike today and very happy with it so 500 can go off road to be worked on

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 9:27 pm

I had a cbf600 sa8, which was a great bike. Much quicker than the 500.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 24 Sep 2018, 8:14 am