You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Noob question - how to tighten chain, how to get at the 2nd adjuster?

StruanHogg

Noob question - how to tighten chain, how to get at the 2nd adjuster?

Post by StruanHogg on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 9:28 pm

Hi thanks for the help. Sorry it's very nooby but I guess you've got to start somewhere lol.

I'm looking at the Haynes Manual which says to 'turn the chain adjusters on both sides of the swingarm a small amount at a time'. There is a chain adjuster clearly visible on the rear axle but when I took off the front sprocket cover I couldn't see a front chain adjuster. Is there a 2nd chain adjuster? If so how do I get at it? I must be missing something obvious in the manual but I can't work out how to find it.

I appreciate the help, thankyou.
RossObey01
Squiddy
Squiddy

Re: Noob question - how to tighten chain, how to get at the 2nd adjuster?

Post by RossObey01 on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 9:33 pm

There is no adjuster for the front, everything is done at the rear on the swingarm. There are two studs sticking out the back of the swingarm, you'll need to loosen the main axle but using a 24mm socket, then turn two 12mm nuts the same amount each to tighten or loosen the chain. 

Make sure the alignment is correct before torqueing everything back up. Then do the axle nut up and nip the two adjusters slightly afterward.

Perhaps it's best if you take it to a competent friend or mechanic for the first time to watch how it's done.
StruanHogg

Post by StruanHogg on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 9:44 am

Thanks a lot, that makes sense. I would like to take it to a competent friend but it's not an option. I'm going to go for it. If you don't mind explaining one more thing... how do I make sure the alignment is correct?
RossObey01
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by RossObey01 on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 10:01 am

Ignore the marks on the adjusters and the swing arm, take a metal ruler and measure the distance from the centre of the axle bolt (not the front or back because it's different each side) to the rear edge of the swing arm. You're looking for both measurements to be the same.

Ideally you want to set the alignment first, then move both adjusters the same amount of turns to set the tension. Otherwise you'll find if you set the tension then the alignment the tension will change. 

In theory once you've set the alignment, providing you turn each adjuster the same you needed worry about it next time, but it's always good practise to check.

Once it's all torqued back up, spin the wheel and watch the run of the chain over the rear sprocket. If the alignment is badly out you should notice the chain moving across the sprocket slightly as it turns.

Alternatively you can buy chain alignment tools like this...

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/workshop__and__tools/motocross_tools/motion_pro_tools/motion_pro_chain_alignment_tool?gclid=CjwKCAjw8ajcBRBSEiwAsSky_UrDxKHa98NbCyVQ-QUMW8wQ2JvvvOHplXUNpaszQUO380ycZ4J9sRoC-hIQAvD_BwE

Which clamp to the sprocket, you then just move your adjusters until the guide rod runs straight along the chain.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 2:56 pm

Both adjusters are located on the end on the swingarm. Undo the axle nut just so it's loose but don't fully remove it.

The chain tension adjusters are both sides of the swingarm on the rear.
Turn these 1/4 of a turn alternating between sides.
I usually use my finger(s) to measure the distance between the tyre and the swingarm and base it upton the pressure on my finger so the pressure is the same on both sides.
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 3:10 pm

Well I've never seen an alignment tool like that, it looks a good idea. Farting about with chains is one of the reasons I like BMs so much. I would say adjust the chain on it's tightest spot after turning the wheel and checking then when you tighten the spindle push the chain up to tension it as you tighten, this gives a more reliable amount of play, it can tighten up otherwise. If you have a drum brake operate it as you tighten the spindle also as this centres the shoes and makes them both engage at the same time and gives a much more powerful and nicer feeling brake. You will need then three hands or you can tighten the brake til it just comes on and stops the wheel turning.
Have fun! Dave.
StruanHogg

Post by StruanHogg on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 3:19 pm

Well I went for it. Chain is tight, clean(ish) and regreased. I took it for a ride and the back wheel didn't fall off. Both adjusters are aligned and the play is right for the tightest section of chain. Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it. Pretty satisfying in the end  Smile
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GollyGosh on Mon 03 Sep 2018, 1:21 pm

@StruanHogg wrote:Both adjusters are aligned and the play is right for the tightest section of chain.

I may be misunderstanding you but if the tension varies as you spin the back wheel then you have some stiff links in your chain.  If after cleaning, lubing and riding the stiff links loosen up then you may have excessive play in you chain...
wrighty
Godly
Godly

Post by wrighty on Mon 03 Sep 2018, 5:20 pm

For the chain to have the same tension at any point in its length every link would have to wear and stretch by exactly the same amount, both sprockets would have to wear by exactly the same amount around the whole circumference  and the rear sprocket would have to be absolutely central to the rear axle......as well as having no stiff links as gollygosh says. Chances of all these factors being spot on are remote.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 24 Sep 2018, 8:22 am