You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri 24 Aug 2018, 4:58 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:
@TheWizardofOdds wrote:(
There's two cables running by the top of the fuse box,  just under the frame. It's the lower of the two and as you can see they go into the Y shaped, wrapped thingy.

Could be possibly a tracker or something similar which works when the ignition is on and the speedo pickup could be for movement detection.

The bike has got datatag stamps all over it.  I never bothered signing up to continue it, but it could be related maybe?
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri 24 Aug 2018, 5:24 pm

@GollyGosh wrote:
@TheWizardofOdds wrote:(
There's two cables running by the top of the fuse box,  just under the frame. It's the lower of the two and as you can see they go into the Y shaped, wrapped thingy.

If not a tracker it could be an alarm/immobiliser system.

The whole Y thing doesn't look factory so two things to explore.

1. Follow the wires going to top left and see where they end.  That will probably be the control unit for what ever it does.
  2. Of the two wires running by the top of the fuse box, see where the top wire leads to.  It could be to a hidden immobiliser switch  ?? or tap into the ignition.

You certainly need to identify what it is and does before ripping any wires out.
Ok. They go through the taped Y piece and then towards the rear right body panel, don't know what that's called? I think it might be a bugger to take off though! I'm really reluctant to touch wires and electrics but I think I need this gone. You're right, I'll source where the go to and take a pic and post here. Hopefully,  if that Y piece is not integral to the bike I can remove it all. Thanks.
goulton
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by goulton on Thu 06 Sep 2018, 11:52 am

I don't know what others have found with their speedo accuracy but that on my CB is just about the most accurate one I have had on any vehicle in recent years, i.e. since GPSs were available for calibration, so I'm not considering any other form of speedo.

However, electronic speedos do have their uses.  My XS650SE (Heritage status next January!) has a speedo that is way out in terms of accuracy - and totally irreplaceable - so a bike "computer" is a good alternative.  Although intended for a pedal bike it is claimed it will work up to 186 mph.
hh_12345
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by hh_12345 on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 12:07 pm

@TheWizardofOdds

If you're still looking for a grab handle there's one cheap and lookiing good on e - bay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CB500-PILLION-GRAB-HANDLE-1994-2003-CB500S-TWIN-REAR-HANDLE/223130936776?hash=item33f3a3e5c8:g:OGYAAOSwPEFbjt1l

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 24 Sep 2018, 9:09 am