You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Share
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 12:17 pm

I've had a slow leak of air from the front tyre for as long as I've had the bike it seems, and I feel I need to address some issues on the bike so I'll start at the front and work backwards!

The tyre loses approximately 2 to 3 psi overnight, the rim seems ok, the valve too, but who knows? I'm going to take the wheel off and investigate further as there's no obvious leak. One thing that has puzzled me but I've never looked into until now is the cable that us strapped to the right fork slider. I assume it's a speedo sensor, I haven't a clue. I see no other bikes with this arrangement and after looking at the haynes guide to remove the wheel it states to remove the sensor from the lower left fork slider . All I have there is one cable going to the drive? With just a screw below that where I believe my cab currently on the right hand should go. 

I'll post some terrible photos, sorry. Can I re-route the rhs cable to go into the lower left and if so, does anyone have a diagram or photo of how I can do this? I've looked at videos on Ytube for guidance but can't really make out very well what to do. Also, why the hell would the cable for the sensor be routed in such a manner anyway?

Thanks for any help on this.



avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 12:19 pm

I'll hopefully be able to post proper photos later...
avatar
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Posts : 192
Location : Grimsby, Lincolnshire

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by GollyGosh on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 2:21 pm

The thick cable on the left is connected to the mechanical speedo gearbox and if followed should plug into the back of the original speedometer. 

If your electrical cable on the right leads to the speedometer than it has been changed to an (aftermarket?) electronic system.  In that case your options are limited as it would need recalibrating after moving, if possible.

The alternative would be to replace/repair to the original Honda speedo.

If you can't trace the cables back then a pic of your speedometer dial might help others on here to give more informative help.

As for the tyre, assuming you don't find a nail in it, have you thought of using a tyre sealant such as 'Slime' but not the ones that also inflate as they use Co2 which should only be used to get you to an air pump.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 3:38 pm

@GollyGosh wrote:The thick cable on the left is connected to the mechanical speedo gearbox and if followed should plug into the back of the original speedometer. 

If your electrical cable on the right leads to the speedometer than it has been changed to an (aftermarket?) electronic system.  In that case your options are limited as it would need recalibrating after moving, if possible.

The alternative would be to replace/repair to the original Honda speedo.

If you can't trace the cables back then a pic of your speedometer dial might help others on here to give more informative help.

As for the tyre, assuming you don't find a nail in it, have you thought of using a tyre sealant such as 'Slime' but not the ones that also inflate as they use Co2 which should only be used to get you to an air pump.

Thanks for the reply.  The speedo appears to be original but I'll take a pic and show ASAP.  A cursory check of the rhs cable seemed to go to the rear of the bike not the speedo, or is that where they go? I'll investigate further...

Tire appears to be ok, I'll take the wheel off and see where the leak is. Ty for the suggestion.
avatar
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Posts : 192
Location : Grimsby, Lincolnshire

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by GollyGosh on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 4:28 pm

"A cursory check of the rhs cable seemed to go to the rear of the bike"

I think you need to see where it ends and what it's attached to... scratch
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1609
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by Beresford on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 5:40 pm

Regarding the leak, the simplest way to locate it is by ducking the wheel into a basin of water. This could be done with the wheel in place if you can get a suitable plastic basin. The leak could of course be due to poor sealing of the tyre on the rim because of corrosion.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 6:08 pm

@GollyGosh wrote:"A cursory check of the rhs cable seemed to go to the rear of the bike"

I think you need to see where it ends and what it's attached to... scratch

Yeah, the bike's blocked in a dark and ill-lit garage at the moment that is split in two halves (previous owner had a small drum studio at rear!). The rhs cable goes under the tank it seems? I'll need to take it off tomorrow, fairing too as my next job is the forks after this.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 6:17 pm

@Beresford wrote:Regarding the leak, the simplest way to locate it is by ducking the wheel into a basin of water. This could be done with the wheel in place if you can get a suitable plastic basin. The leak could of course be due to poor sealing of the tyre on the rim because of corrosion.
 Ty. I've just removed it as space is at a premium in there currently.

Dunked it in the bath, pleased her indoors no end. The leak is all around the valve. Air is escaping in the tiny gaps between the valve and there rim. Hmm...The valve seems in good condition otherwise. Any thoughts?

Also, misleadingly , I think I said the speedo sensor, if that is what is strapped to my rhs fork slider at the moment, should be at the bottom of the left, I think I looked at the photo in the haynes and believed that was the shank of the screwdriver, FFS, I know. The left hand cable is to the drive, where are your sensors routed to then?
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1609
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by Beresford on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 6:27 pm

Sounds like you have the wrong size of valve. Valves come in different sizes depending on the size of the hole in the rim.
avatar
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Posts : 192
Location : Grimsby, Lincolnshire

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by GollyGosh on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 9:31 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote: The left hand cable is to the drive, where are your sensors routed to then?

The original speedometer doesn't uses sensors.  It is mechanical, driven by a cable turning inside the thick outer cable which goes into the gearbox (drive) on the LHS of your front wheel. No electrickery involved.  So the mystery is what the 'sensor' actually is and the answer to that is probably at the other end of the ty-wrapped wire.

BTW The hole you wanted to fit the 'sensor' into should have a pinch bolt going in from the opposite side...
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2788
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:28 pm

Perished valve

Bicycle speedo sensor
avatar
wrighty
Godly
Godly

Posts : 64
Location : Market Deeping Lincs

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by wrighty on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 7:41 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:Perished valve

Bicycle speedo sensor
Definately bicycle speedo sensor. Ive got 3 bicycles all with one fitted. No idea why other end dissappears under tank, it would usually go to small instrument on handlebar. If your original speedo is working its obviously not required any more.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 11:58 am

@Beresford wrote:Sounds like you have the wrong size of valve. Valves come in different sizes depending on the size of the hole in the rim.
Good call. I'm taking it to a tire centre in Dumfries shortly for them to look at. The bike shops shut for ten days from today.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 12:03 pm

@GollyGosh wrote:
@TheWizardofOdds wrote: The left hand cable is to the drive, where are your sensors routed to then?

The original speedometer doesn't uses sensors.  It is mechanical, driven by a cable turning inside the thick outer cable which goes into the gearbox (drive) on the LHS of your front wheel. No electrickery involved.  So the mystery is what the 'sensor' actually is and the answer to that is probably at the other end of the ty-wrapped wire.

BTW The hole you wanted to fit the 'sensor' into should have a pinch bolt going in from the opposite side...
Ty. Hope to get fairing and tank off later to see what the sensor is. It's positioned over the front brake disc? Yes, the hole I thought this sensor or whatever it is went in had a screw in that enabled me to release the left hand cable once removed. In my defence, the haynes photo is effing terrible.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 12:07 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Perished valve

Bicycle speedo sensor
Well, I'll find out today or tomorrow probably. If looks are anything to go by, the valve is fine, but could be worn underneath I suppose. 

Why would anyone put a push-bike sensor on? 

Cheers
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 12:12 pm

@wrighty wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:Perished valve

Bicycle speedo sensor
Definately bicycle speedo sensor. Ive got 3 bicycles all with one fitted. No idea why other end dissappears under tank, it would usually go to small instrument on handlebar. If your original speedo is working its obviously not required any more.
Strange. I've traced it in near darkness in the bloody garage, but yes it goes under the tank. Speedo works fine, weird...
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 12:15 pm

Has it had a change of clock? Judging by the nick it's in I wouldn't rule it out. It doesn't look like a 33k bike but they have a hard life up here.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2788
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 7:27 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:Perished valve

Bicycle speedo sensor
Well, I'll find out today or tomorrow probably. If looks are anything to go by, the valve is fine, but could be worn underneath I suppose. 

Why would anyone put a push-bike sensor on? 

Cheers
Handy for accuracy and switching between mph and kmh easily.. I also use one on my bike but in kmh.

I also keep forgetting you're near Dumfries, next time I'm either heading home or heading to northern Ireland I'll have to give you a shout.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 7:33 pm

I took the tire to the fitters today, car shop. They put a new valve stem in and sealed the rim etc. So far, it has held the pressure ok, fingers crossed. One thing done!

The cable that runs from rhs front fork slider is routed under the fuel tank near to the frame and goes into a wrapped doodah I have no idea what it's purpose is. In the photo it is the lower/nearest cable to the F of the fuse box. Anyone know what goes on here?

...no photo at the moment, it states syntax error. No idea. I'll try later.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 7:37 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:
@TheWizardofOdds wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:Perished valve

Bicycle speedo sensor
Well, I'll find out today or tomorrow probably. If looks are anything to go by, the valve is fine, but could be worn underneath I suppose. 

Why would anyone put a push-bike sensor on? 

Cheers
Handy for accuracy and switching between mph and kmh easily.. I also use one on my bike but in kmh.

I also keep forgetting you're near Dumfries, next time I'm either heading home or heading to northern Ireland I'll have to give you a shout.
Ok, the previous owner never mentioned anything about it but it's getting ripped out if I can ascertain what the hell it's doing at the rear of the bike!

Yes Dumfries is near. I'd love to hear from a fellow forumite! Mi casa Su casa. I can come along for a ride too or youre welcome to moffat for a few rolls n bacon n a cuppa. Just don't look too closely at my shit bike Smile
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2788
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 8:04 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:
Handy for accuracy and switching between mph and kmh easily.. I also use one on my bike but in kmh.

I also keep forgetting you're near Dumfries, next time I'm either heading home or heading to northern Ireland I'll have to give you a shout.

Ok, the previous owner never mentioned anything about it but it's getting ripped out if I can ascertain what the hell it's doing at the rear of the bike!

Yes Dumfries is near. I'd love to hear from a fellow forumite! Mi casa Su casa. I can come along for a ride too or youre welcome to moffat for a few rolls n bacon n a cuppa. Just don't look too closely at my shit bike Smile

I'm trying to think whom's bikes I've seen so far... Wornsprockets, beresford, wrighty and serviceman. Sure there is someone else who I'm forgetting!
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:23 pm

(
There's two cables running by the top of the fuse box,  just under the frame. It's the lower of the two and as you can see they go into the Y shaped, wrapped thingy.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:27 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:
@TheWizardofOdds wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:
Handy for accuracy and switching between mph and kmh easily.. I also use one on my bike but in kmh.

I also keep forgetting you're near Dumfries, next time I'm either heading home or heading to northern Ireland I'll have to give you a shout.

Ok, the previous owner never mentioned anything about it but it's getting ripped out if I can ascertain what the hell it's doing at the rear of the bike!

Yes Dumfries is near. I'd love to hear from a fellow forumite! Mi casa Su casa. I can come along for a ride too or youre welcome to moffat for a few rolls n bacon n a cuppa. Just don't look too closely at my shit bike Smile

I'm trying to think whom's bikes I've seen so far... Wornsprockets, beresford, wrighty and serviceman. Sure there is someone else who I'm forgetting!
I haven't seen anyone's . I rarely see any CBs at all, I do see bmw r1200gs, fireblades, bmwr1200gs, fireblade,  bmw r1200gs...
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2788
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 10:46 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:(
There's two cables running by the top of the fuse box,  just under the frame. It's the lower of the two and as you can see they go into the Y shaped, wrapped thingy.

Could be possibly a tracker or something similar which works when the ignition is on and the speedo pickup could be for movement detection.
avatar
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Posts : 192
Location : Grimsby, Lincolnshire

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by GollyGosh on Fri 24 Aug 2018, 11:45 am

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:(
There's two cables running by the top of the fuse box,  just under the frame. It's the lower of the two and as you can see they go into the Y shaped, wrapped thingy.

If not a tracker it could be an alarm/immobiliser system.

The whole Y thing doesn't look factory so two things to explore.

  1. Follow the wires going to top left and see where they end.  That will probably be the control unit for what ever it does.
  2. Of the two wires running by the top of the fuse box, see where the top wire leads to.  It could be to a hidden immobiliser switch  ?? or tap into the ignition.


You certainly need to identify what it is and does before ripping any wires out.

Sponsored content

Re: Front tyre/wheel air leak and speedo set-up

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Mon 24 Sep 2018, 9:14 am