You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Handlebar weights

ojacobs1
Squiddy
Squiddy

Handlebar weights

Post by ojacobs1 on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 1:25 pm

I am about to change out the bent handlebar on the CB and tries to take out the weights in the ends. The outer part comes of Ok but the inner part is not easy to get out. Anyone have any idea? I have put a screw into it and tried to pull it but wouldn´t move much... Do I need some kind of lubricant on this? WD40 maybe?
GollyGosh
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Re: Handlebar weights

Post by GollyGosh on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 2:09 pm

There was a topic earlier this year you may or may not have seen Click Here

Towards the end of it @teamster1975 suggests the screw in the weight but using a slide hammer approach rather than pulling on it.

Before you break into a sweat getting them out, does your replacement handlebar have the same internal diameter so they will fit properly?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 3:45 pm

The inner weights are held in place with clips that locate in two holes about an inch in from the end of the bar. These holes are accessed by moving the grips. The clutch side can be slid off easily enough but the easiest way to access on the throttle side is to slacken everything off and move the grip and lever assembly along the bar inwards. Saves any faffing around with the cables.
Just re-read your post. Obviously you have the bars off the bike so the holes are already accessible.
ojacobs1
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by ojacobs1 on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 5:55 am

@GollyGosh wrote:There was a topic earlier this year you may or may not have seen Click Here

Towards the end of it @teamster1975 suggests the screw in the weight but using a slide hammer approach rather than pulling on it.

Before you break into a sweat getting them out, does your replacement handlebar have the same internal diameter so they will fit properly?
Saw that tread when browsing for info but missed the slide hammer part... Embarassed . New one should have the same internal diameter but can´t know for sure until I get the internals out so I get my caliper in... Smile

Thanks
ojacobs1
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by ojacobs1 on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 6:03 am

@Beresford wrote:The inner weights are held in place with clips that locate in two holes about an inch in from the end of the bar. These holes are accessed by moving the grips. The clutch side can be slid off easily enough but the easiest way to access on the throttle side is to slacken everything off and move the grip and lever assembly along the bar inwards. Saves any faffing around with the cables.
Just re-read your post. Obviously you have the bars off the bike so the holes are already accessible.
Will need to look into this. The bars are still on the bike as I thougt it would be better to have the bike hold it for me if I needed to get a bit violent... Very Happy. Will take of the left grip to have a look. 
Thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 2:16 pm