You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Noob trying to change Cam chain tensioner.

adam277

Noob trying to change Cam chain tensioner.

Post by adam277 on Thu 02 Aug 2018, 7:34 pm

Hi guys first post  afro afro

My bike sounds like a bag of bolts. Thanks to this forum I think I've isolted the problem to the CCT.
Now I just need to replace it. 

Firstly is it just a case of taking the 3 bolts off and using the 'key' to unwind/wind the spring?

If it's just that then I think I could manage it but I get a little nervous when messing doing anything near the cam chain. 

Also anyone know where I can buy the part? I see a few used ones on ebay but I've rather have a brand new one.. I know honda use the CCT accross different model bikes but I'm not too sure which one to get. 

Any help would be appreciated adam.

Edit: Got a geninue honda one + gasket for £90 not cheap but I need this bike so might as well get the right stuff. Razz Now just gotta wait a week for it to get here. 
Seems the new ones already come prewound and its just a case of taking the 'key' out when bolted on.
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Re: Noob trying to change Cam chain tensioner.

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 03 Aug 2018, 10:15 am

Easier to displace the carbs when you're removing it. The bolts might not have been touched in a while, getting solid purchase with six point sockets is a good idea. Ideally wind it in first before removing. Then attach the new one (wound in) and unwind it to tension the chain.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 4:21 pm

Before removing your CCT, remote the spark plug and crack the engine over by hand so there isn't any pressure on the cams. If there is pressure on the cams then it will rotate and jump usually half a tooth, once tensioned it'll slip and make the timing one tooth out. This typically (in my experience) only happens on the exhaust side cam and not the intake
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 8:01 pm

I'm with James on this one.
I go to the extent of taking the cam cover off to check properly once the new one is in. Seems complicated I know but much easier than having to replace valves .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 2:15 pm