Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Ignition control unit replacement

skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Ignition control unit replacement

Post by skyerae on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 1:25 pm

I think my starting problem is down to this unit and looking for a replacement (24 years is pretty good going for this) Does anyone know if the unit changed through the years as I think the newer the unit the better it should be  (as in the inner workings will be less "used") Anyone know this, it is pouring with rain here and the bike is outside in a huge puddle that forms when there is a lot (and there has been and still is a lot) of rain.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: Ignition control unit replacement

Post by ANDYC on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 4:52 pm

If the bike runs at all then I doubt that it would be the CDI unit as they either work properly or not at all.
There was no noticeable change over the years so all are compatible. 
If you really do feel that it needs changing I have one available from an 02 model.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 8:40 pm

I'm no expert but I don't recall anyone on here *ever* having an intermittent problem with an ignition unit... I could well imagine that one of the connections to the unit could be intermittent.

Best of luck fixing the problem; I hate intermittent faults!
burudis
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by burudis on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 9:54 pm

testing with another friend electronic box....or not friend
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 10:12 pm

I wish I had a friend who rode a CB500 and would lend me their ignition unit but don't. I will buy a wiring loom for my coils over plug (CBR600 units)  and wire them up and see if there is any spark at all. The issue is that I rode to work (with no issues as per usual) and then it wouldn't start at the end of the day. It turned and turned just didn't fire up,most unusual. My friend came the next day and diagnosed a faulty spark plug cap. Luckily when I replaced the caps, I kept the old (but within spec) one and used this, but still the same issue. We turned up with the trailer on Saturday (last week) and just before putting her on there tried to fire her up. First off a big backfire and then she started after this. Turned her off and then she again refused to start again. Trailered home and then poking at her after this. No spark at first so checked all the lead, the caps, the resistances of the pulse generator coil and all within spec. Changed spark plugs over to old ones I had kept and they were sparking. Put in and she fired up and idled fine. Turned her off and she fired up again so turned off again. Put all cover and bits taken off when faultfinding back on and tried to fire her up and the battery died while trying to start her. 

Charged battery overnight and voltage fine again so reinstalled and gapped and put in new spark plugs I found secreted away in my man cave. Now again no spark - gave up in disgust. My friend is now pretty sure it is the coils, but I have to ask would both coils fry at the same time, there is no spark on both plugs?
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 10:16 pm

I detest intermittent faults as well. Had a Yamaha FZR that was a gremlins dream - you never knew what was going to give issues next, I loved the bike but couldn't bear not knowing whether it would start, run or have to try and push start the b****y thing. The CB has been a dream and never any issues like this so far. Will report back with my findings once I get the wiring for the coils.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 7:08 pm

Unfortunately failing coil are sometimes intermittent. That's no help though. I also hate intermittent faults. Might be worth seeing if you could get some cheapie new coils just so you can rule them out... if you end up not needing them you could probably sell them again on ebay.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 7:56 pm

Replaced the coils with Coil over Plug units and still no joy - absolutely no spark. Then decided to check the pulser coils (again) and still in spec. Traced the wire beck to the CDI and no continuity on one wire, which was fine when this issue first occurred. Took the connector apart (again) and one of the connectors was oxidised/corroded. Used loads of electrical contact cleaner and disconnected and reconnnected the plug many times and that seem to sort out the continuity issue. Fired up the bike and it works. Delighted with this fix, the COP makes starting effortless, no having the bike turnover about 3 turns and starting, with this upgrade the starting is instantaneous. See how this affects the fuel economy, mine is pretty grim as I RIDE (read thrash here) the bike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 16 Dec 2018, 5:31 pm