You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

[solved]Battery not charging

Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

[solved]Battery not charging

Post by Scatcat1994 on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 9:25 pm

Hey guys,

Another day another completely problem.

Cranked my engine over and a serious of clicking ensued.

I am able to bump start it fine and it runs fine.

I got a multimeter on the terminals and when the bike runs the battery shows 11.7V

If i bring it up to about 4000 rpm it sits at about 12.3V

If I go higher it can fluctuate up and down between about 12.8V and 12.3V, it does not however sit at 12.8V for prolonged periods and definitely not high enough to be giving any decent charge to the battery.  The battery is only a few months old.

I recently found that some of my connectors are corroded and I had to chop a couple and twist them together for a better connection.  Could this be a possible source of the problem? If these connections are insufficient is it possible that they might not be letting higher voltages pass through or something?

Is it more likely to be another issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, my electrical knowledge is even worse than mechanical haha,

Cheers,

-Scott
Jameshambleton

Re: [solved]Battery not charging

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 10:03 pm

High resistance connectors will also drop voltage as you found out
Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Scatcat1994 on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 10:25 pm

Are you recommending I purchase a new loom?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 10:36 pm

Run the charging system independently of the loom, So run the 3 yellow stators from the stator directly to the reg/rec and then from the reg/rec directly to the battery terminals
burudis
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by burudis on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 12:35 pm

stator  yellow terminals conex put dielectrical grease ( at electronic stores material or aliepress).
in case regulator out, i suggest to change for shindengen FH020AA.
common at triumph,4 jap, bmw, ducati etc with  triphasic alt.
invasion chinesse copies look is total, including name and tech type (fake).check for 2ºhand part at ebay etc.
Only shindengen original have the last MOSFET tech (check inform about this tech type)
If not expensive one new=chinesse sure.
Also need to change terminals conectors ( also on sale) and a new only one hole on bike.

not change terminals= direct replacement  RR58.
https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/index.html
Good trade mark also

Last edited by burudis on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 10:05 pm; edited 5 times in total
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GollyGosh on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 1:43 pm

@Scatcat1994 wrote:
I recently found that some of my connectors are corroded and I had to chop a couple and twist them together for a better connection.  Could this be a possible source of the problem? If these connections are insufficient is it possible that they might not be letting higher voltages pass through or something?

On @Burudis link to www.electrexworld.co.uk there is a link to a youtube video on the correct way to build/wire the connector block.  It ends with showing what happens if not done properly i.e. bad connections.

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 4:17 pm

@burudis wrote:Only shindengen original have the last MOSFET tech
MOSFET shunt regulators are old tech now. The latest type reg/recs use series tech and at least one of the genuine Shindengen models may be sourced at a keen price (well under £100 ) from Polaris dealers.
burudis
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by burudis on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 8:36 pm

Three phases alt. has  to be conected independent each one!
If not, you convert in biphase alt........
best sure crimp term conex is with soldered after crimped.
as youtube video
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 9:08 pm

To get back to the original posters problem: his battery is not charging.

This could be for all sorts of reasons: knackered stator, expired regulator rectifier, green and manky connectors, broken wires, lack of magic smoke etc...

So, before you go buying anything new, it is worth doing a few extra checks with the multimeter to make sure your stator is OK (I assume you got the voltage readings from a multimeter):

Check the stator open circuit voltages:

a. Charge up the battery.
b. Find the regulator rectifier (under the LH side panel) and disconnect the plug from it.
c. Find the connector with the three yellow wires near the regulator rectifier.
d. Switch the multimeter to measure AC volts.
e. Start the bike, let it idle.
f. There are three yellow wires (1, 2 and 3) measure the AC voltages between 1 & 2, 1 & 3 and 2 & 3. At idle these voltage should be around 10 - 12 volts AC.
g. Rev the bike to about 4k RPM and hold it there (you may need an assistant to hold the throttle for you).
h. Measure the voltages as in step f. They should be much higher (say 30 or 40 volts).

Check the stator resistances:

a. Set the multimeter to resistance mode (somtimes called R or Ohm mode), if there is more than one resistance mode (say 2M 2k, 200 and 2 Ohms) select the lowest one (2 Ohms) Touch the two probes together and check that you get zero (or a reading very close to zero).

b. Measure the resistace between the pairs of yellow wires (1 & 2, 1 & 3 and 2 & 3 as above) - they should all be similar and very close to zero Ohms - i.e. they should all be small resistances

c. Measure the resistance between each yellow wire and the bike ground/battery negative (1 & ground, 2 & ground and 3 & ground). They should all be a high or infinite resistance to ground i.e. none of them should connect to ground!

If your stator passes these two tests then it is either you regulator rectifier or the wiring that is at fault.

You mentioned that you had 'removed a connector and twisted some wires together' - this really isn't a good idea and might make things worse. You would be better to solder them if you can or use some crimp connectors and a ratchet tool ( here and here ).
Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Scatcat1994 on Thu 02 Aug 2018, 1:07 pm

Problem sorted guys,

Rectifier had gone.

Chopped out and replaced, all is now well.

Cheers! Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 7:12 pm

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it! It's often the R/R that goes 'pop', but sometimes it isn't...
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 6:52 pm

Just had this exact problem on mine, a picture speaks a thousand words.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 11:21 pm