Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Dead CB, advice needed please

skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Dead CB, advice needed please

Post by skyerae on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 9:10 am

I use my CB to commute to work and rode to work as usual on Monday morning, with no issues. Parked up and suited up after work and went to start CB, starter turning over but not even trying to fire. I tried for a while and then parked her up and (luckily) got a lift home. A friend checked her over, and diagnosed a spark plug out of spec so I refitted the 23 year old again (which is still in spec) Checked fuel level, clutch switch, sidestand switch, moved fuel tap to reserve - still no joy. You can smell unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust with this going on but no joy. Going with a trailer later on today to load her up and get her home. The plug leads are also fine so also need to check the pulse generator coils. You need three things for combustion, air, fuel and spark. There is fuel and pretty sure there is air (unless a mouse has nested in the filter) so assume there is an issue with the spark. Any pointers would be gratefully accepted, quite competent with spanners not so much with electrickery......
Jameshambleton

Re: Dead CB, advice needed please

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 4:51 pm

The spade connectors where the coils connect to the main loom corrode badly. These are located on the left side of the tank.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 6:41 pm

Those have been cleaned up and spayed with GT85 (I think). We swopped the spark plug leads over (like No.1 lead to number 2 and vice versa) and had it going for a short while and it wouldn't start again. We traced it to a loose connector in the spark plug cap - if you look into the cap there is a screw head in the connector that goes on top of the spark plug, this was loose. Tightened it up and it fired up. Turned it off and fired it up again and no issues. Fitted everything back and tried to start her again and back to same issue. Battery partially flat so on charge over the night and will recheck everything again (and again and again) tomorrow. It seems to be an intermittent fault - which I really detest. Tried to get the VFR through MOT instead and faild on headbearings (dangerous defect) and brake fluctuation (major defect) so needs lots of money spent on her  Crying or Very sad

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 12:32 am

Try a new battery.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 9:05 am

Battery was replaced in March with an original Honda one from M&P. So will check the charge this morning and top it up if need be. Will go back to checking for spark.Might just replace the spark plugs, the spark plug caps and the leads a swell to rule them all out.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 9:13 am

And that little bunch will cost me £125,22 before postage  Mad
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:22 pm

Cheaper to convert to coil on plug type stick coils and eliminate the weak spots at the coils leads and plug caps.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 8:12 pm

@skyerae wrote:And that little bunch will cost me £125,22 before postage  :x

Ouch.

Did you see this one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB-500-1999-500-CC-IGNITION-COIL/280892526588?hash=item41667fcffc:g:h5MAAOSw~4tai1cV

Don't know if they are any good, but cheaper than wemoto. Obviously you'd need two :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 17 Dec 2018, 9:28 am