Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice?

StruanHogg
StruanHogg

Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Empty Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice?

Post by StruanHogg on Tue 17 Jul 2018, 10:37 pm

Hello  Smile Glad to be here, nice to meet you

I just passed my bike test (I'm 23) and got a 1997 CB500  Very Happy I'm loving it, having so much fun driving it - and enjoying that sweet biking freedom.

I want to take it to Spain for a year of working odd jobs and maybe camping, possibly with a second person if I can convince her haha. I don't know anything about racks and luggage, there was only one I could find online that seemed ok for side panniers as well as a topbox. I can't post links since I'm a new member, but it's called Hepco & Becker complete rack for honda cb500 1993, and it costs £213.

£213 seems pricey, I think there must be a cheaper way to get a rack installed? My question is how can I get panniers set up for minimum cost while still being ok quality? Or even better, does anyone have a rack and panniers that they were looking to sell?  Wink

Anyway, wasn't sure what pics to upload but here she is  Smile 

Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Img_2013
Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Img_2015
Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Img_2014
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Empty Re: Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice?

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 2:58 pm

I use a givi monorack, a tuzo 50 litre roll bag and a tent all attached with bungies.

Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Y4mUW5HF_wos_3Wj8gtU3t5H3SHfsC9ONLtPsNCGzAxMZWkeiFGLmm7cclOmlpZcHR50UTgnVcZLYLmGVLpx2t2NpwEusaiWQkxDYTJxwBQcNEx-_ZolMPT0C44LzJpDsrt7k64JJAp9WvDi0pyvwBKZD__ew4J1NLCUtAymUHOrLPQjdv6Hjf_FEKjY8-yMyTL01HchQmcMu1KGtPy5yat5g?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none
stormbringer
stormbringer

Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Empty Re: Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice?

Post by stormbringer on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 9:03 pm

Congratulations with your fine looking bike Smile

I've tried a couple of luggage solutions since 2013 and can offer this input:

The HepcoBecker kit you're referring to is good stuff. It can probably be made to lock to the bike, letting you leave the luggage behind when on tour and at a POI. It's a major advantage if you are out on your own! The downside to luggage boxes is that they're bulky and kill your ability to filter in traffic. Not what you'd want when touring on a hot summer day.

An alternative to the boxes would be soft panniers. Less capacity, not lockable, a lot niftier in traffic - and cheaper. I started out with a set of throw-overs + tankbag and had a blast. One thing to notice is that throwovers are bungied/tied to the bike and this becomes a nuisance quite quickly, as you're forced to remove the lot everytime you leave the bike if you want to be sure you have it all on return after your visit to a POI.

Tankbags versus topboxes: I had a topbox, but ceased using it as it makes the bike wobble/tankslap around 60 km/h. It also displaces the center of mass and makes the ride uneasy. No thanks. I replaced the box with a magnet-slap-on-tankbag and never looked back! The tankbag not only serves as shelter from the storm, but zips right off and becomes a rucksack. In that bag I carry camera, tablet and other valuables, meaning it's dead-easy to bring the most expensive bits along. This particular tankbag also expands to a whopping 25 liter should you need that. But then, your view to the instrument cluster will be hindered.

Happy touring!

Last edited by stormbringer on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
StruanHogg
StruanHogg

Post by StruanHogg on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 11:36 pm

Thanks for your advice, it was very helpful. I had only ever clocked solid luggage on racks on motorbikes - it helped a lot once I started looking at soft luggage. After poking around on the internet a bit I am going to go for a tank bag rucksack the same size you described @stormbringer with throw over panniers, but then a rear rack and a camping bag strapped on similiar to what you've got @jameshambleton Cool Hope no-one steals my stuff  Rolling Eyes Smile
stormbringer
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 8:20 am

Glad to hear you found the input useful.

In continuation of what I wrote, it's worth noting that I'm actually using kit today that is a mix of the two solutions.

Here's me in 2014, making my way from England (Suffolk) on a 1500 km nonstop-ride to home in Denmark:
Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Englan10
Note the soft panniers and tankbag.

I used the same setup in 2016, touring France, Italy, the Alps (Stelvio) and back home. This included a +1800 km nonstop-ride to Bordeaux, France. Here, I learned the advantages of soft panniers when negotiating insane traffic in french coastal cities. I also learned the disadvantages of having to lug around my belongings when at a POI like the fortified city of Carcassonne. Parking lot outside the fortress, I had to carry something like 20 kilos of personal belongings half a kilometer in scorching heat, wearing riding gear. Yuck!

So, I got lazy and wanted more comfort; lockable boxes. This meant that in 2017 when I toured Romania, the soft panniers had been replaced with boxes akin to the HepcoBeckers you refer to (Krauser; same manufacturer though...).

Here's me at Balea Lac (alt 2 km), at the crest of dictator Ceaucescu's fabled Route 7C - the Transfăgărăşan:
Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Romani10
I learnt that Romanians are the nicest people. That the romanian road network offers variety indeed. And that the CB can be ridden race-style with alu-boxes and all - we're talking hero-knob-scraping, airtime and the whole nine yards. I've never had that much fun, that many near-misses and that many spectacular views before.
Central Romania (carpathian mountain range) dwarfs anything else I've seen.

Did my luggage mod perform? Both yes and no. It surely is a delight to have at your disposal 2*30 liter lockable holding + the rucksack. Visiting POIs, restaurants and such along the route was a doddle. Nice. But these boxes are bulky and affect the bike's behaviour at speed. Mpg suffers. And you can pretty much forget filtering/streetfighting congested city centers. Not so nice.

For proper long-haul I'd go with the soft panniers. Travelling at a more leisurely pace, the boxes are more appealing.

That would be my input on the pros and cons of these setups. Ultimately, you will have to acquire your own experiences. YMMV - literally Smile

Last edited by stormbringer on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling errors in abundance...)
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 7:57 pm

Great looking bike. Touring sounds like a plan.

Top boxes can have their problems; like most things they are a compromise, can still be useful but you might want to put the heavy things somewhere else.

I would suggest going on a 'mini tour' to shake-down the rider/luggage/pillion setup (maybe a weekend?) to check that everything is feasible for a longer ride. You can even take some extra stuff to simulate being on a longer trip. This way you can change stuff before it is too late.

Anyway, best of luck and keep us up to date with what you decide to do.
bikerbob
bikerbob

Post by bikerbob on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 12:28 pm

@StruanHogg wrote:Hello  Smile Glad to be here, nice to meet you

I just passed my bike test (I'm 23) and got a 1997 CB500  Very Happy I'm loving it, having so much fun driving it - and enjoying that sweet biking freedom.

I want to take it to Spain for a year of working odd jobs and maybe camping, possibly with a second person if I can convince her haha. I don't know anything about racks and luggage, there was only one I could find online that seemed ok for side panniers as well as a topbox. I can't post links since I'm a new member, but it's called Hepco & Becker complete rack for honda cb500 1993, and it costs £213.

£213 seems pricey, I think there must be a cheaper way to get a rack installed? My question is how can I get panniers set up for minimum cost while still being ok quality? Or even better, does anyone have a rack and panniers that they were looking to sell?  Wink

Anyway, wasn't sure what pics to upload but here she is  Smile 

Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Img_2013
Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Img_2015
Hi :) Just got my first bike and looking to go touring... luggage advice? Img_2014
When I bought a second CB500S in 2010, it was a 1998 bike, I was gutted that Shad had stopped making the rack for this model so I had to buy the Hepco Becker one and a set of panniers on Ebay for £300.  So the bike cost £999 and the luggage £500.  Try Ebay for second hand rack as well is all I can suggest.  Bob
Stevie Gimo
Stevie Gimo
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Stevie Gimo on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 12:49 pm

Often wondered on throw over panniers, if there is no frame work behind them, what stops them moving inward when cornering?
funkawaana
funkawaana

Post by funkawaana on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 1:06 pm

Hi there,

I have a small top box, throwover panniers and a tank bag. Works a treat. One thing you might consider is a wire net bag (not sure what the proper name is) and then you can out your clobber in it when you stop somewhere, change into comfy gear and go for a wander. They can be locked to the bike.

2 up it becomes a squeeze when you add a tent, but I usually bungey that to the top box (small tent, obviously). Imho the magnetic tank bags are worth their weight in gold; they don't get blown about. They're super easy to put on and off. I've never had a problem with the throwovers btw, being dual shock the shocks keep it out if the way if the wheels.

Happy riding, I've had my cb500 for about 15 years now and, although I don't tour on it any more (got a small tourer as well) i did a lot in the past.

Buy a cushion...

Cheers

Ian
cb500rider
cb500rider

Post by cb500rider on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 1:07 pm

First off install a luggage rack on it as it will certainly help to give you a anchor points for panniers/saddle bags, and also the fact you can either later on attach to the Luggage rack a top case container to hold your helmet, etc. Installing the rack requires the removal of the side rear left & right indicators because the luggage rack gets secured followed by the indicator's stem nuts make the rack secured in place.

Soft luggage will suffice but be wary due to lack luggage securing points on the frame work of the bike the soft luggage bounce against the rear shockers. So, make sure the soft luggage is securely fastened down to prevent the above mentioned happening. Remember, if you do get soft luggage get ones with rain covers in case of extreme downpours.

Stay clear of Tourmaster brand it is utter rubbish as their jackets & saddlebags DO NOT keep the rain out because they NEVER seem to tape the seems of their products which is VERY bad.
GollyGosh
GollyGosh
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by GollyGosh on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 1:12 pm

I'm going to visit my son in France in September and have been looking into luggage solutions also.  I've decided to go with the soft option as my journey will be A to B with no sightseeing in between.

So after much thought I've decided to order Oxford P50 panniers.  Allegedly no rack required as it uses two straps over the seat and one underneath to keep it in place.  Reviews say there is room for a pillion so still room for a roll bag etc though I won't be taking either.

I'll feedback on how well it fits the CB sometime next week.
cb500rider
cb500rider

Post by cb500rider on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 1:21 pm

@funkawaana wrote:Hi there,

I have a small top box, throwover panniers and a tank bag. Works a treat. One thing you might consider is a wire net bag (not sure what the proper name is) and then you can out your clobber in it when you stop somewhere, change into comfy gear and go for a wander. They can be locked to the bike.

Called a Cargo Net, but also having Bungee Cords helps to make bags far more secured in addition to the Cargo Net to prevent the item or bag slipping about over time while your bike is in motion.

I've known people to have either got a length of solid/slim tubular strong plastic or made of wood & drill a hole big enough at either end and then cut to length a tie strap to place that between the saddlebag/panniers and the shock absorbers to make sure they don't come in contact with the shock absorber's springs. You tie wrap it to the handgrip and the lower point near the rear of the foot peg or what's appropriate.This person I known to have done that has motorbike on 4 continents, and that his trick for making sure soft luggage cannot be trapped by the shock's springs while in transit.

Last edited by cb500rider on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 2:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
cb500rider
cb500rider

Post by cb500rider on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 1:27 pm

Renntec make the rear luggage rack for that bike.

There is two option buy brand new or used both options below via Ebay.

Used, but need some touch up with black paint

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/motorcycle-rack-Renntec-Honda-CB500/123260130732?hash=item1cb2e055ac:g:UaMAAOSwNfJbUPnt

New

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB500-1994-TO-2003-RENNTEC-SPORTS-LUGGAGE-RACK-CARRIER/362177843055?epid=1743501945&hash=item54537b4f6f:g:OXQAAOxydApR5UmV
goulton
goulton
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by goulton on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 5:11 pm

I don't know if I can add much to the above but I have a Renntec rack on to which I fit a soft Oxford tail-pack.  I also have an expandable tank bag.

This set-up has enabled me to go away for three or four days but these have always been door to door journeys so security with the soft luggage has never been a problem.  This may not be enough luggage space if you are also carrying camping kit.

I'm a bit surprised about the comments about panniers and filtering.  When filtering I have always found the limitation to be the mirrors and I would be surprised if panniers were wider than these.  That said, I have seen panniers with things strapped on the outside and that would make them wider than the mirrors.
deniski
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by deniski on Thu 26 Jul 2018, 12:10 pm

Hi, nice bike, I hope it's as much fun and reliable as mine has been !
I use an Oxford lifetime tankbag, Motofizz soft panniers and then a bungee set up to attach a waterproof bag 50litres and a tent..
I don't carry a passenger as the CB500 and luggage makes it too much of a strain on the 'bike.
I've never had anything nicked off the 'bike but when I'm a bit nervous about my gear I ask someone nearby to keep an eye on it, it's worked so far !
Have fun !
GollyGosh
GollyGosh
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by GollyGosh on Sat 25 Aug 2018, 9:36 pm

@GollyGosh wrote:I'm going to visit my son in France in September and have been looking into luggage solutions also.  I've decided to go with the soft option as my journey will be A to B with no sightseeing in between.

So after much thought I've decided to order Oxford P50 panniers.  Allegedly no rack required as it uses two straps over the seat and one underneath to keep it in place.  Reviews say there is room for a pillion so still room for a roll bag etc though I won't be taking either.

I'll feedback on how well it fits the CB sometime next week.
Sometime next week turned out to sometime next month due to too much work and not a lot of playtime.

Well I've had them ages, only trial fitted them last week and have only just got around to reviewing them here http://www.cb500club.net/t5954-oxford-p50-panniers#55823

Hope this is helpful to someone Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jun 2019, 5:49 am