You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Temperature Gauge Only works when leaning

Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Temperature Gauge Only works when leaning

Post by Scatcat1994 on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 10:48 am

Hey guys, bit of an odd one but hopefully someone is able to shed some light on this.

My Temperature Gauge always sits completely cold on the C when riding normally no matter how hot the bike gets.  I noticed when I turned right then straightened up it fluctuated a bit.

I held the bike to the right and noticed the needle shot right up when the bike was hot.

I believe that the gauge is showing the true temperature of the coolant in this leaning to the right position.

I recently did a coolant drain as I has to patch a leak in the radiator so I may have done something which caused this issue.

Coolant level seems fine, sit between the high and low markers on the expansion bottle when hot.

Any ideas guys?

Many thanks,

-Scott
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Re: Temperature Gauge Only works when leaning

Post by louis_sutton on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 11:18 am

Have you checked the coolant level actually in the filler cap rather than the overflow bottle? Might be an airlock in there somewhere...
Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Scatcat1994 on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 11:24 am

Nah, I've not had the cap open since I drained it out,

Should I wait until the bike is cold and then have a look in the pressure cap?

If there's air in the system how do I go about getting it out?

Cheers
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 4:24 pm

Yes, I would look under the cap - if only to convince yourself that it *is* full, especially as you've plugged a hole. It might be a lose/bad connection or a duff wire which only makes contact when you are leaned over, however I think this is unlikely. While you are checking the coolant level you can look at the temperature sensor which is near the cap and make sure it looks well connected.

Out of interest, what did you use to plug the hole in your radiator?
Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Scatcat1994 on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 10:15 pm

Hi, I will give that a try.

It is called "Super Steel Epoxy Weld" £7 from Halfords

I could not for the life of me find any JB Weld in my local shops and ordering online would have meant bike was out of commission for a few days.

Was going to use Araldite but it has a max temperature of 80C.

This stuff says it can take 315C maximum or 100C continuously, hoping it can take it
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 06 Jul 2018, 8:45 am

I had this issue with low coolant... Do NOT trust the expansion bottle as it's vacuum drawn into the system so from what you're describing you've got a lot of air in the system... Id ballpark it and say you're missing about 1.5 liters of fluid out of the coolant system. Remove the tank and fullnit up from there
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 06 Jul 2018, 10:40 am

@Scatcat1994 wrote:Hi, I will give that a try.

It is called "Super Steel Epoxy Weld" £7 from Halfords

I could not for the life of me find any JB Weld in my local shops and ordering online would have meant bike was out of commission for a few days.

Was going to use Araldite but it has a max temperature of 80C.

This stuff says it can take 315C maximum or 100C continuously, hoping it can take it

I'm a big fan of bodging (as other will probably have noticed) - I have tried fixing radiators with epoxy (JB weld marine, in fact) - it certainly can work - my most recently bodged one lasted for about a year, but it almost certainly won't be permanent. It has 'given up' and I'm going to get a 'new' (well, new to me) radiator.

JB weld is somewhat difficult to find in the uk, but there are similar products available eg. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/radiator-repairs/plastic-padding-leak-fix

In my experience, rather like painting, gluing this kind of thing is all down to preparation. If you have a dremel or similar it will make it easier to get the paint and grot off the front of the radiator which will help things to stick.

I have also done the same type of bicycle pump test as in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2fYoMdDpGk. You can do this on the CB500 in the same way (bicycle pump into the expansion bottle connection), however you can also do it with the radiator off the bike:

1. Get two corks (from wine bottles), plastic or real and an old bicycle inner tube.

2. If you use a sharp knife you can cut the corks such that they can be used to plug hte holes in the CB500 radiator. I just cut some wide bevels onto one end of my cork so I could get it in the hole.

3. Cut the valve from the old bicycle inner tube, leving an (approx) 1 inch diameter circle of inner tube at the bottom of the valve.

4. Drill a hole through the length of one of the corks which is a close fit to the valve diameter - if you get the size right you will be able to screw the valve through the cork.

5. Trim the cork (the thick end!) so it is possible to connect the bicycle pump to the valve.

6. Hey preso, you too can pressurise your radiator with a bicycle pump. The key is to fill it mainly full of water and then increase the pressure with the bicycle pump, making sure that the repaired area is under water. AFAIK the CB500 operates at about 16 psi, so that's a good number to go for.

Here is a bad diagram - the corks are black, the cut line are red and the valve is grey:

Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Scatcat1994 on Fri 06 Jul 2018, 11:36 am

Thanks for the tip, great reply.

I've been on ebay and seen that they're selling CB500 rads for like £60.

This seems reasonable if worse comes to worst.

Anyone know if they're ok or are they some knockoff and I'd be better spending a bit more on a better one?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 06 Jul 2018, 4:22 pm

@Scatcat1994 wrote:Thanks for the tip, great reply.

I've been on ebay and seen that they're selling CB500 rads for like £60.

This seems reasonable if worse comes to worst.

Anyone know if they're ok or are they some knockoff and I'd be better spending a bit more on a better one?

IMO the cheap ones are OK - none are the orignal part. The only one that is worth spending any extra money on would be a Honda original one... don't see many of them around and they are not too cheap tho.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 12:01 pm

The Delkevic rads are good, I've had to replace the rad twice over the years.
freeride
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by freeride on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 2:13 pm

Fill the rad up very slowly which is a 10% rate of your definition of slowly
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 5:38 pm

@freeride wrote:Fill the rad up very slowly which is a 10% rate of your definition of slowly

Yes, this is true... if you fill it up slowly.... reeeeeealy slowly, then you will get the minimum amount of air trapped inside. The slower you fill it up the more time the air has to escape before being trapped in the pipework, if you bring the level up too quick you have more chance of creating an airlock.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 2:14 pm