You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

How often do you tighten the chain?

fgclark123
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

How often do you tighten the chain?

Post by fgclark123 on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 4:47 pm

I've been tensioning mine every... 500 miles at the moment - I was wondering if that's oddly low or high. Any rule of thumb? I get the feeling my chain is wearing fast. Cheers.
Jameshambleton

Re: How often do you tighten the chain?

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 5:27 pm

Think I do mine every couple of thousand miles... I don't really keep track just when it feels "off" when I'm using the throttle
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 5:46 pm

Mine is the same. I need a new chain and sprockets for sure. Been following the thread about replacing them, and hopefully do it myself. It should sort the slack occurring as often I'd think.
fgclark123
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by fgclark123 on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 8:37 am

Hmm.must be time for a change. Thanks
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 7:45 pm

Honestly - could be as little as every 3k miles. Maybe even 5k. Possibly even less frequently than that. This is because as I've said several times before when this or related topics comes up, I clean and lubricate the chain after every ride. It's so easy with a main stand, there's really no excuse. Two pieces of blue-roll, folded, chain sprayed with a mix of paraffin and old engine oil - wiped with blue roll, oiled with EP90. Takes less than a minute. Chain lasts for 50k, ditto rear sprocket. Front sprocket may not make it that far though - and tbh it's probably best to change everything as a set, even though I don't like to because I know the chain itself and the rear sprock have a fair amount of life left. So that's a dilemma. 

Second problem with this sort of approach is that the chain will, despite receiving such comparatively high levels of maintenance, still develop tight and slack spots. I suppose this is wear. What I mean is, cosmetically the chain can look great. And there can be lots of adjustment left on the uhm adjusters. But the tight spots / slack spots get too dramatic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 16 Jul 2018, 4:03 am